Newbie question about first brew!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe80

Reaction score
Alright guys I brewed my first ever batch on Jan. 18 and it's an NB American Wheat everything went alright for being a first timer so what I really want to know is the OG is showing to be 1.043 on the instructions but at that time I did not have a hydrometer so I could not check it. It has been in the primary ever since and haven't bothered it (except for me & my little girl staring at it constantly) so it seems to be doing good so the question is when should I check the gravity since I now have a hydrometer.

Extract kits you usually don't have to worry about original gravity as long as you hit your volumes. If it's a 5 gallon kit, and you have 5 gallons of wort in your fermentor, you gravity should be spot on. It's been over a week, so you can start checking your gravity any time you want to. I usually like to wait at least 2 weeks, usually 3, but that's just because I have a pipeline that supports it.

I know that first brew is one where it's easy to get impatient. I've been there and done it, but if you can wait until Saturday to start checking it, I think you'll be happier with the end product. Plus, at that point, fermentation would be completely done. More than likely, it's done now, but I just like giving them at least 2 weeks.

yep, you can check it after two to three weeks. You just need to make sure the gravity is stable over a few days before bottling. Also, the beer will be better at 3 weeks than at 2. I recommend bottling at around 3 weeks (if the gravity is stable) and letting them carbonate for about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the info the wait isn't too bad just keep checking the days off the calendar!!

what is your fermentor, bucket, carboy? It would make a difference to me. A carboy can sit for quite a while. Buckets I don't like to let sit too long - two weeks max -personal rule.

What temps are you fermenting at also?

I personally see no difference in leaving a beer in a bucket vs carboy when talkin about a normal primary... your beer will be fine either way.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Home Brew mobile app

Back