Newbie needs milling help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmarkw

Reaction score
I had a work buddy pick up some supplies for me at a LHBS in his home town which is 70 miles from me. He brought me my order today and unfortunately the malts I ordered were not milled. So they look like seed pods basically. I'm only brewing a gallon and from searching around here I think I can crush/roll the malt to break them up? Is the idea to pop the seeds if that makes sense? Thanks.

Cystal Malt 10 & 60 1lb ea
Chocolate Malt 1lb
Brewers 2 Row 2lb

Hope this makes sense!

Crush the inside fine and leave the husk as whole as possible. You extract the starches/sugars from the kernel, so you need that to be crushed well, and you use the husk to filter the left over material when sparging.

You need to fully expose the inside of the grain. Just my opinion, but i know others have had success using a blender and pulsing the blender with a few handfuls of grain at a time. Hand crushing with a roller is tedious and difficult to get a thorough crush. That is a helluva lot of crytal and chocolate for a 1 gallon batch??

I dont need the full pound; the only way i could order it. thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back