Newbie needs advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiltswitch

Reaction score
Hi, gave cider making a whirl as have a small apple tree and didn't want the fruit to go to waste, total juice gave me about 2.5 litres so we are not talking much!!

Measured the SG before fermenting at 1.044 but then added some sugar (and didn't measure the SG afterwards). Have just decanted into a plastic bottle and re-measured at 1.00 (or very fractionally above) so know it's finished fermenting.

Any idea if I can calculate how alcoholic this is going to be?

Also, I've added sugar to the bottle to make is sparkling (1tsp per 500ml) but how long before I can drink and find out if I've just wasted my time ;) lol

ANY advice appreciated :)

Tiltswitch

Thanks Maylar

I read somewhere it was 10g sugar for each 1 litre that you wanted an extra 1% abv... Does that sound about right?

Cheers (in 3 weeks!)

How much sugar did you add? One pound of sugar will add 40 points to a gallon (4 L) - So .5 K may add about 50 points. If you know how much sugar you added it is fairly simple to calculate the starting gravity and so the potential ABV.

Back