Newbie, need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoePitre

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is an additive that you can add to assist in removing the yeast taste in wine? I have a kit that is ready for bottling however it really has a sting yeast smell and taste to it.
Thx

If you can seriously get that almost bready-yeast taste then it isn't ready to bottle. Did you rerack off the lees into a new container and let it sit? You want to make sure you do that until there are virtually no lees.

don't know how newbie you are so....
lees = yeasty sludge at the bottom of the fermented
rerack = siphon off into another container of equal volume for continued fermentation and clearing. Avoid mixing air (and thus oxygen) during reracks!

Thanks for the reply, I moved it into another carboy to get it off the lees. I have degassed it about every other day for the last week. I hope it gets better... The yeasty smell and taste has gotten a little better. I was just hoping for an additive or magic fix....

It's three months old. I had on the lees for about two longer than I should. I got called away on a job and could not get back for two extra weeks. I have re-racked three times and now I'm de-gassing it every other day. Getting better and better everyday.

Back