Newbie keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering looking for a keggle for my first brew pot. I am also considering SS - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYUA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.

Howver I cannot for the life of me find a keggle, let alone a used keg. I live in Rochester, New York. I have looked everywhere and even posted a few times on Craigslist and nothing. I have a good friend that is a beer distributor for a major label and I even asked him for at least a keg and he told me that is impossible now due some new law. I guess you have to register to even put a deposit on a keg now, which costs $75, and then the cost of the deposit on top of that. Sucks. But on all the beer forums I read I see a ton of people using keggles. Can anyone help me find one in Rochester so I can at least see it and make a decision from there? Is there any place online? Anything will help. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Try going into a brewery and asking them if they have any old kegs that they might consider unfit to refill and send out to the public. They just may give you one, or sell you one for cheap.

Never done this myself, but it was a tip given in a recent article in BYO about building a keggle.

There is always sabco, if you haven't already checked them out.

Sabco is really expensive n my mind. $130 for a used keg and that comes with no parts other than a drilled hole. I can find a hundred 10 gallon kettles for less than that. No offense intended though.

Where did all you keggle users get your kegs?

Where did all you keggle users get your kegs?

A friend GAVE me one, with the top cut out and fittings already welded in. How lucky am I?

He said he got it from http://www.homebrewhq.com/Default.aspx. It is not listed on their website, but he told me if I wanted more I should give them a call. Mine holds 20 gallons so I do 10 gallon boils with plenty of head room.

Have you brewed with a keggle before? I personally don't like them. They are really heavy and also awkward to clean. I can't wait to change mine for a nice stainless steel pot.

I bought a 15 gallon SS pot early this summer but did not have the heart to drill into the bottom and have a SS nipple welded on to it. Then I spent most of this summer looking for a couple. I finally found a guy on craigslist that sold me two for $40 each.

What I did was a spiral search on craigslist. Finally found the guy about 250 miles away.

My advice is to keep searching and you should be able to find a couple. You could always approach a nearby fraternity with an offer;-)

Have you talked to Beers of the World or Rorbachs? They MIGHT have a damaged one laying around. It's a possibility. When I decide to jump in to 10 gallon batches I might look them up.

PS I just did a search for "pot"' in the rochester craigslist. Everything that came up was from Avenue D. Hmmmmmm.

Back