Newbie Kegerator Help (cant get pressure under control)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wig7

Reaction score
I am excited to join this website as everyone is so knowledgable and helpful. I recently bought an Igloo Kegerator from Walmart for $299 which seemed like a reasonable deal to jump into the draft beer pool with...

However - Im having a ton of problems and would appreciate any help that could be provided.

Foam Foamerstein is my new nickname. I bought a 1/4 of Coors Light (dont laugh) to get started and learn how to get everything set up correctly. The temp is hanging around 40 degrees but I believe the issue to be too much pressure.

Intially when I hooked everything up and opened the Co2 bottle I thougth I had a leak in the pressure relief valve as it kept sneaking air out but the pressure on the regulator valve was up over 40 PSI so it may have just been a safety situation.

I have turned the regulator pressure down as far as it will go on the front of the regulator and if I barely open the CO2 bottle (1/16 turn) I can for a short time keep the pressure around 10-12 PSI. Im exteremly frustrated and disappointed thus far.

Probably a dumb question but is it possible the 2.5 lb CO2 tank was overfilled?
Could the regulator itself be bad?
Any other reasons why the pressure would continue to be so high?

I am going to try and dial down the temp to closer to 37-38 which I hope will help but something just seems off with the pressure.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone is willing to offer.

Newbie Matt

Hey, I bought the same exact one and was having the same problem. There is a set screw that is most probably set to high from the factory. I thought that when I turned the middle knob all the way toward the minus sign that I would be at 0 PSI, but mine was actually set from the factory to be at 20 PSI. Once I took that set screw out it allowed me to zero out the pressure. It's a tiny Allen wrench screw. Hope this help.

Outstanding! That did it - you are a lifesaver. I now have to go cancel the new regulator I ordered before it ships as this solved the problem. What a stupid way for Igloo to package and set the defaults. Furthermore - the "instructions" stunk - I saw the tiny allen wrench but never crossed my mind what it could possibly be for...at any rate - thanks again! Very much appreciated

Back