newbie keg question: what is a poppet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmnop

Reaction score
I'm sure that this will seem incredibly basic, but what is a poppet? I have a ball lock keg, where do I find the poppets?

The poppets are the two spring loaded check valves located in the gas and liquid posts. If you are looking at the posts, it's the little "button" in the center that you can push down. When the posts are removed, you can remove them by using a chopstick or something similar to press down on them til they pop out.

Check out the picture here: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CORNELIUS_POPPET_VALVE_P126C78.cfm

When the posts are removed, you can remove them by using a chopstick or something similar to press down on them til they pop out.

Not all of them pop out, I have a keg where one post (I think the gas post) has a lip on the inside of it where the "fingers" of the poppet lock onto. Haven't quite figured out exactly how to fully disassemble it without possibly destroying the poppet valve, but I've been able to clean it fine.

Just take a good look at the inside of the post to see how the poppet is retained before trying to force it out. Most of them, like Ace_Club said, just push out.

Ah-hah! Once I knew where to look, it took about 45sec to find it!

Thanks a bunch, Ace!

Back