Newbie help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade351

Reaction score
Hey all greetings from australia! I did a batch of black rock whispering wheat. Curiosity got the best of me today and i put a couple in the fridge!. Unfortunatly it tastes like a dry white wine or " hot medicene". Now the question is..... Do i throw it and chalk it up as a lesson? Or will it get better over a period of time?. I kept the temp as constant as i could ( 22 degrees). But i did not have it covered but it was not in direct sunlight either. Its been bottled for 2 weeks, tried to clean everthing the best i could. Look forward to being a member of this great site!

From the way you describe it it sounds like a high alcohol beer. What was the OG and FG of your beer?

bob is right its definately a alcohol taste. fg was 1008 og was on the start beer mark on the hydrometer, the recipe was the can and the yeast nothing more. do i ditch it fellas or wait a while?

Definitely don't get rid of it. At the very least, give it a few more weeks. Ideally, you set it away and forget about it for a little time and see what happens. Could end up coming into balance and being great!

Now, when you say "dry white wine," do you think you're getting acid on the beer instead of alcohol? If so, that could indicate a problem, but I doubt it. Either way, definitely don't do any dumping at this stage.

Definitely don't get rid of it. At the very least, give it a few more weeks. Ideally, you set it away and forget about it for a little time and see what happens. Could end up coming into balance and being great!

Now, when you say "dry white wine," do you think you're getting acid on the beer instead of alcohol? If so, that could indicate a problem, but I doubt it. Either way, definitely don't do any dumping at this stage.

thanks dcott ive been googling like crazy trying to find what to do!. this is my very first brew so im not sure what i could compare it to, it begins with a very dry wine taste as it goes to develop a very cheap alcohol warmth. either way only one mouthful is tolerable, there is no way you could finish a glass.

Sounds like fusel alcohols to me. What temp did you ferment at? Some yeasts can produce a lot of these if above their ideal range. They will dissipate over time, but never go away fully. Wouldn't dump either way, just speculating.

Back