Newbie help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewster

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here. I found myself finishing fermentation and due to the pte bottles coming late, I put the brew into a pressure barrel for a few days and then to bottles. Would this have an effect? Also my brew seems a little bitter and malty, ( came as a starter kit with fermentation bucket) so I'm lucking for a spicer pale ale without the bitterness. Any suggestions are strongly appreciated.

For future reference, you can leave the beer in the fermentation bucket for additional time without issue. Doing so, you reduce chances of infection and oxidation. Moving it could oxidize it or it can be fine. Hard to tell as you'll have to just test it. As for the taste, can you provide your recipe and process?

The malt sweetness may be from under attenuation. How much yeast did you use? If you are tasting hop bitterness it will mellow with time.

Hello said:
For future reference, you can leave the beer in the fermentation bucket for additional time without issue. Doing so, you reduce chances of infection and oxidation. Moving it could oxidize it or it can be fine. Hard to tell as you'll have to just test it. As for the taste, can you provide your recipe and process?
Thanks for your reply and time. All I can tell you about the re recipe is it is from a starter kit from youngs. 1.5ltr tin which you heat (place in hot water) to loosen the liquid, then add to six points of boiling water, mix whilst adding 1kg of sugar. Add cold water to now fill the bucket to its 5 gallon level, leave now for 21 days or until the hydrometer reads consistant for three days or between 1000 and 1006. Then I'm supposed to bottle it, leaving the bottles in a warm place for two days, then cool place after this for 14 days or till beer is http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6171799.htm.

WoodlandBrew said:
The malt sweetness may be from under attenuation. How much yeast did you use? If you are tasting hop bitterness it will mellow with time.

Hi thanks for reply, the yeast came with the youngs starter kit. Very small silver packet.

Make sure you have a stable FG 2-3 days apart. Then give it 3-7 days more to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. Leave the bottles in a warm place for 3-4 weeks at 70F or a lil better. This is the excepted practice for bottle carbonating & conditioning.

mix whilst adding 1kg of sugar

That's the main culprit - cheap extract.

Spend the extra quid on quality kit(s) until you get comfortable with the process, then just buy the ingredients for one of the thousands of free recipes on this forum :)

unionrdr said:
Make sure you have a stable FG 2-3 days apart. Then give it 3-7 days more to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. Leave the bottles in a warm place for 304 weeks at 70F or a lil better. This is the excepted practice for bottle carbonating & conditioning.
thanks very much. Did you mean 3-4 weeks? You put 304

unionrdr said:
Aye,3-4 weeks,I hit the wrong key. Went back & fixed it.
You are right on with that info thanks. The beer I couldn't fit in the fridge therefore left in a warm room for weeks are clear and better carbonated than the ones in the fridge ( following the sellers guidelines of fridge after two days)

Thanks for your reply and time. All I can tell you about the re recipe is it is from a starter kit from youngs. 1.5ltr tin which you heat (place in hot water) to loosen the liquid, then add to six points of boiling water, mix whilst adding 1kg of sugar. Add cold water to now fill the bucket to its 5 gallon level, leave now for 21 days or until the hydrometer reads consistant for three days or between 1000 and 1006. Then I'm supposed to bottle it, leaving the bottles in a warm place for two days, then cool place after this for 14 days or till beer is http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6171799.htm.

Well that link is an office chair. I hope it doesn't taste like an office chair. :D

I did some digging and I think the kit you bought (if I had to make a guess) is this one:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/HOME+BREW.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

If there is one thing I have learned here it is that it is crucial to get kits that aren't old. Your yeast could be old or the LME (liquid malt extract) could be bad. You mentioned a can and heating it, that sounds like LME.

The directions are to add water and sugar and you're done. Just looking at the kit makes me suspect that it is worth anything. I would sit on that beer for a while and see if it mellows.

I think you're in the UK so I found a place that has kits. It seems like this place is more reputable than the one you found at Argos.
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/beerkits/banks-original.html

Look around that site and see what you find. You can create your own recipe as an extract brewer too, do not feel limited to kits. I just put together my recipe for my fourth brew based on information I found here on this site under recipes.

Hello said:
Well that link is an office chair. I hope it doesn't taste like an office chair. :D I did some digging and I think the kit you bought (if I had to make a guess) is this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/HOME+BREW.htm#pdpFullProductInformation If there is one thing I have learned here it is that it is crucial to get kits that aren't old. Your yeast could be old or the LME (liquid malt extract) could be bad. You mentioned a can and heating it, that sounds like LME. The directions are to add water and sugar and you're done. Just looking at the kit makes me suspect that it is worth anything. I would sit on that beer for a while and see if it mellows. I think you're in the UK so I found a place that has kits. It seems like this place is more reputable than the one you found at Argos. http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/beerkits/banks-original.html Look around that site and see what you find. You can create your own recipe as an extract brewer too, do not feel limited to kits. I just put together my recipe for my fourth brew based on information I found here on this site under recipes.
Can't believe your kindness, thanks so much. I have the bug now and found a new hobby. Didn't expect this kind of help, so extremely grateful. Yes from uk. I too done some digging and found myself eager for the next batch. I like the sound of a cinneman pale ale brew . Closer to winter it's nice to have an ale that warms you as you drink. Thanks again your uk buddy.

You are right on with that info thanks. The beer I couldn't fit in the fridge therefore left in a warm room for weeks are clear and better carbonated than the ones in the fridge ( following the sellers guidelines of fridge after two days)

Bottled beers have to be conditioned at room temp a few weeks as I stated. you found out why. And you bought it in Argos??! That city was destroyed,punished by Zeus for the king casting his daughter & son Perseus on the waves for being illigitimate. No wonder it's funky...:D

unionrdr said:
Bottled beers have to be conditioned at room temp a few weeks as I stated. you found out why. And you bought it in Argos??! That city was destroyed,punished by Zeus for the king casting his daughter & son Perseus on the waves for being illigitimate. No wonder it's funky...:D
That's the best reply ever :)

Back