Newbie, first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this normal?

Attachments

• 20200321_101130.jpg
    20200321_101130.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
Yes, looks perfect. After 10 days or more from pitching the yeast, check with your hydrometer to see if the beer is done. Two matching readings near the expected final gravity and you can bottle. Then give it some time to mature. One week won't really be enough, 3 weeks is probably much better.

Its been fermenting 14 days, the original reading was 1.024, it is today 1.014. The original seemed low from what i have read. Any concerns with the little film on top in the picture?

Its been fermenting 14 days, the original reading was 1.024, it is today 1.014.

If you used a partial boil and added top-off water, your low OG reading is from lack of mixing of the wort and water. If you used the correct amounts of extract and total volume, the OG will be pretty much as predicted. If it was an all-grain batch, then it would point to an efficiency problem.

Welcome to HBT.

I usually see that little film atop my beers too. No problem.

If you brewed from a kit, they usually specify the OG. Forget the hydrometer for the OG reading for extract batches as it is wrong most of the time. It take some vigorous stirring when you add top off water to get an accurate reading.

Is it done fermenting or should i wait to bottle?
Thanks for the replies, sorry about all the dumb questions.

Is it done fermenting or should i wait to bottle?
Thanks for the replies, sorry about all the dumb questions.

Everybody started where you are. Just keep reading as much as you can to learn as much as you can.

It's likely done fermenting. You can see the Krausen ring around the top of the wort. The best way to be sure it's done is to take a hydrometer sample, see what you have, then do it a couple days later. If it reads the same thing, you're ready.

If it were me, I'd just bottle, but you can choose which method you like.

And, welcome to the....well, madness?

FWIW: I went to the local homebrew store (LHBS) today and laid in a supply of yeast, hops, and some grains I needed. I'm hunkering down! The one thing I don't expect I'll run short on is....beer!

Back