newbie equipment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vamil93

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a kit from Midwest. I was comparing the starter kit and the intermediate kit. In reading the forum, it looks like for a beginner, I will need a primary fermentor (plastic pail) secondary fermentor (glass/BB) and a bottling pail. The starter kit has these three, while the intermediate adds another glass/BB. Would there be a reason to have the extra container? Is is worth the extra 30 bucks?

I am also looking at a good recipe kit for a first brew. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get into some new beers, so anything that a beginner could pull off, I am willing to try. Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm kinda surprised the "beginner" set includes a glass carboy...some just have the plastic fermenter. If that's true, and I'm reading it correctly, then I'd say go with the beginner set.
Personally, I don't see a need to have a second glass fermenter just yet. If you really get into the hobby, yuo can always pick one up later.

As for a first brew, I would pick up any brew kit from the store. They're all prettu easy. Just pick a style you like and jump in with both feet (and liver).

BeanPot Brewery said:
I'm kinda surprised the "beginner" set includes a glass carboy...some just have the plastic fermenter. If that's true, and I'm reading it correctly, then I'd say go with the beginner set.
Personally, I don't see a need to have a second glass fermenter just yet. If you really get into the hobby, yuo can always pick one up later.

As for a first brew, I would pick up any brew kit from the store. They're all prettu easy. Just pick a style you like and jump in with both feet (and liver).

they call it the starter set, while the one with the extra bottle is the intermediate. there is an option for glass or Better Bottle. Which would be a better choice?

IMO i would buy the "Brewing Intermediate Kit w/Glass Carboys" for $109.95

[ame="http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Glass+Carboys+vs+Plastic+Carboys&spell=1"]Glass Carboys vs Plastic Carboys[/ame]

You might as well buy all the carboys you can. I started in August with 4 1 gallon bottles for small batches of wine. I now have 6 1 gallon bottles, 4 5 gallon carboys, 1 6 gallon carboy, 2 3 gallon fermenters, 1 6 1/2 gallon fermenter, 1 7 1/2 gallon fermenter, and starting to think conical. Most are full. This hobby grows quick!!!

My recent activity has focused on wine bottles. I put the word out to friends and family at Thanksgiving that I needed bottles, and I cleaned my 93rd bottle tonight. That's a lot of wine!!!

vamil93 said:
I will need a primary fermentor (plastic pail) secondary fermentor (glass/BB) and a bottling pail. The starter kit has these three,

I am also looking at a good recipe kit for a first brew. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get into some new beers, so anything that a beginner could pull off, I am willing to try. Thanks in advance for the help.

I might have missed something, but why do you need a "bottling pail"? I just use the primary as my bottling pail by transferring (racking) from the glass secondary back to my cleaned and sanitized primary with priming sugar added and then to bottles. Probably I'm confused.

As for a good recipe, brew what you like to drink. Easiest to pull off? A little dark, a little hoppy. Or a lot dark and a lot hoppy. Covers a lot of sins. Skip the American Pilsner first time around. Or last time around for that matter.

Back