Newbie corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor

Reaction score
Hi new to brewing and only done a few batches in cheap plastic barrel, but want to up grade to a corny keg.
When I brew my beer or lager in primary fermenter and finished fermenting can I just transfer into a corny keg then carbonate with c02 . Or will I get settlement in all my pints when pouring .
Just want an easy option many thanks
For any advice.
I live in England so corny kegs our expensive and just want some good advice on how to proceed

Yes, no problem with that. Try to siphon as little trub as you can, but whatever does get pulled in will generally settle at the bottom of the keg and be pushed out with the first pint or so. Let the keg sit in the fridge for a couple of days at least while it's carbing and don't disturb it, and it should all settle into that divot where the dip tube sits.

Cold crashing the primary before you transfer will help compact the sediment as well, as will letting the vessel sit undisturbed as much as possible before transferring. Don't be afraid to leave a bit of beer in the bucket. You can leave a pint behind and not pull much sediment at all, or you can get the last drops and stir up the trub and have to throw out that first pour anyway. :)

Yes, no problem with that. Try to siphon as little trub as you can, but whatever does get pulled in will generally settle at the bottom of the keg and be pushed out with the first pint or so. Let the keg sit in the fridge for a couple of days at least while it's carbing and don't disturb it, and it should all settle into that divot where the dip tube sits.

Cold crashing the primary before you transfer will help compact the sediment as well, as will letting the vessel sit undisturbed as much as possible before transferring. Don't be afraid to leave a bit of beer in the bucket. You can leave a pint behind and not pull much sediment at all, or you can get the last drops and stir up the trub and have to throw out that first pour anyway. :)
Thank you for your advice , if I cold crash primary how long in fridge a day or two

Thank you for your advice , if I cold crash primary how long in fridge a day or two

A week or longer is great as far as conditioning, but a day or two will certainly help with compacting your sediment. And it will condition in the keg as well, so yeah, just long enough for it to get down to fridge temps.

When I transfer to keg and put in fridge what pressure will be good to carbonate it in a few days. I see people 30 psi for two days then put it down to about 10

Back