Newbie CO2 Tank Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughes_brews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am starting to acquire equipment to build my first kegerator.

I was looking on Craigslist for CO2 tanks and ran across two tanks for $80, one filled and the other partially filled. The seller states that the partially filled one came from a fountain dispenser. It sounds like a good deal, based on what I have priced out so far.

I emailed him about the size of the tanks and he wasn't sure how many lbs. He did say that they were approximately 8" diameter x 22.5" tall (28" from the floor to the top of the valve guard). Do these sound like 20 lb. tanks?

Is there anything else I should find out about the tanks before buying, regarding pressure testing, etc.?

Thanks,
Jeff :drunk:

Tanks must be tested every five years. the test date should be on the tank. You don't want to buy one that needs to be tested in afew months.

Good luck!

If they've got a good test date and they don't say "property of Coca-Cola" or whatever on them I'd say go for it. $80 bucks for two 20 lb tanks is a steal.

Just found out the test dates. The full one is 3/99 and the partial full one is 8/96.

What do you think? How much would it be to have these tested after they are empty?

Thanks,
Jeff :drunk:

Yeah, and if you're like me, the welding place will have to send it off to another city to get it tested, which takes like 8 days at least. For this reason, I purchased a spare. They only charge $15 for testing though.

FYI :

It's illegal to ship a CO2 tank in any state other than empty.

If the seller is saying one of the tanks came from a fountain vendor it more than likely is stamped "Property of Coca Cola Enterprise" . Some gas suppliers don't have a problem filling a tank they know is stolen. Others do and won't fill it for you. Also it may cause you to have problems when you send it off to be tested.

Bobby_M said:
Call the closest fire safety company and ask about hydro testing. My local charges $12 and does it within 3 days. They'll also fill, but I've found them to be pricey.

Wow! you can say that again!

The fire ext. companies around here charge at least 50% more for refills.

It cost me $12 for a 10 lb. tank exchange but the fire ext. company charges $18 for a 5 lb. tank refill.

I think they bank on the fact that you'd rather get the cert and fill in one shot. Yeah maybe, but not for $17 premium on a 20lb fill. I drove across town to the beverage joint and paid $20 instead of $37.

Latest posts

Back