Newbie Braggot Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliottLeeKC

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I'm a total newbie at brewing beer and mead. I've had success with a few kits and now I want to try and create my own braggot recipe for a 1 gallon batch. The goal would be dry and strong ABV with subtle citrus flavors. I know you guys get a ton of these requests, but I'd love some help/advice/feedback.

Ingredients:

1 gallon water
2 lbs orange blossom honey
1 lb pilsner (DME)
.1 oz Cascade hops
Lemon zest (after flame out)
Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead

According to Brewer's Friend:

OG: 1.126
FG: 1.002
ABV: 16.23%
IBU: 6.11
SRM: 5.1

Is this even doable? TYIA for any help!

As the recipie is stated it'll be more than 1g. I'd do the honey at flameout. It's probably going to need some aging time due to alcohol content. Otherwise it looks good.

I'm guessing it won't hit 95% attenuation on the DME.
Predicting a more reasonable 75% apparent attenuation would put your FG at 1.012 and ABV at 17.1% using the more recent equation.

I am unfamiliar with making braggots, so can't help much further. However I would definitely use yeast nutrient, Fermaid O.
I can't find any reports of using that strain for braggots either. You might be pioneering that one.

Do the honey at below 100 degrees, that way you won't lose the character. The honey will ferment all the way out, and dry out the beer, but you should get some good honey aromas and character.

As the recipie is stated it'll be more than 1g. I'd do the honey at flameout. It's probably going to need some aging time due to alcohol content. Otherwise it looks good.
Really long: I did an 18% mead that didn't get really good until the 10 year mark.

Really long: I did an 18% mead that didn't get really good until the 10 year mark.
That all depends on the protocols taken and the recipe. I have one recipie that is as smooth as can be and delicious straight out of the carboy after a 2 month ferment sitting at 19%ABV, while another was only 15%ABV and was undrinkable for almost 6 months.

Back