Newbie AG Calculation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
I brewed up an Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale clone this past weekend and missed my target SG by like .025, I'm right at 1.050 and need to bump that up.

Could someone post the calculation for how many SG points a particular amount of DME will increase a volume of 5 gallons? I promise I'm not too lazy to search for it but I can't seem to find a thread with a title that matches what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

1 lb of xlight DME in 1 gallon = roughly 44 points of gravity.

Since you want 25 points in (presumably) a 5 gallon batch, you want 25 / (44/5) = 2.85lbs of xlight DME. Call it 3lbs and have a homebrew.

Wow, 3 lbs. You think just a half-gallon of boiled water could disolve all that sugar or should I just plan on having a 6 gallon batch?

Its been my experience that you can just toss that 3 IBs in with the boiling wort. shouldnt really effect anything. Plus if you add more water to it then that changes the concentration of the "sugar solution" by diluting the solution itself thereby changing the desired outcome. just my two cents:) Cheers:)

however now that i actually read the post....lol..my b. This would be the formula. 25 / (44/5.5) to take into account the extra half gallon. So yould want to use 3.12 lbs of extract if adding a half gallon and 3.41 lbs if adding a gallon. As far as diluting is concerned you may be safe with a half gallon. But I guess that all depends on how much sugar can be diluted in a certain amount of water. Id start at a half gallon. boil that and see if there still anything still floatin around. if so add another half gallon and the small amount of extra extract. Hope this helps. Next time i need to read the post a little better:)

Back