newbie after some input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulielow

Reaction score
Hey all, my first brew is a tooheys special draught tin
With 1kg malted dextrose, 200g honey and the tin yeast sachet
With 22L water everything was bubbling away nicely followed the directios
To a T, but I moved it yesterday and had suck back from the airlock
now no more bubbles in the airlock but
When I checked the gravity the beer had a decent head and had dropped
From OG 1.056 to 1.020 should I be concerned or just let it go for another
Week and see what happens?

You are probably fine. Take another gravity reading in three days or so and see if it's changed.

A little suck back isn't going to kill your beer.

don't worry about it! sounds like it's on track! may come down a few more gravity points. had suck backs in past nothing really to worry about there. look for finish below 1010 or lower esp with honey. that goes on the dry side.
bubbles are not a sign of fermentation. A lot happens after build up of co2. I generally run 10 days (minimum for light milds and session beers) & 3 to 4 weeks for higher gravity ales ... longer for really big beers

Well its been three days and it still at 1.020 I'm wondering if I took the reading
Correctly last time as it had a bit of head on it or if its taking its time. Taste good though
Slightly malty with mild honey note in the background should be an interesting
Drop when its finished.

I'd leave it a bit longer just to be on the safe side. Leaving in fermenter longer won't hurt but bottling to early I guess can make a big mess. I don't want to find out so I leave mine in a bit longer than they should be just to be safe.

Yep I'm gonna leave it another week and check the gravity again.

Well it been in the primary for 2 weeks and the gravity reading is still 1.020,
Taste a little funny but could just be cause its flat and warm. The other thing
Is I think I may have taken the OG the day after I pitched the yeast could this
Have had any significant impact on the OG reading?

Well it spent another week in the primary and the fg was still 1.020 so I bottled
With 3g of priming sugar per bottle, and left it for a week and a half to carb up.
I tried one yesterday it was a little dry and mild with a golden amber colour all in
All not bad for my first brew, thanks to everyone who gave me advice throughout
The process its greatly appreciated.

Back