Newbie 8g Co2 Bulb Paranoia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonehedge

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

Long time lurker and total cider brewing newbie here. I expect you will have a good old giggle at this one. :-D I have been making wine for years but never cider.

I have just kegged my first batch of cider. All visible signs of fermentation have stopped and gravity is below 1000. The plastic pressure barrel is just over three quarters full and I did not add any dextrose for a secondary fermentation.

Anyway, I tried a few pints of my new liquid baby and curiosity got the better of me...I have never used co2 bulbs before and wanted to give it a go. Using a plastic holder ive charged the keg with a single 8g bulb and the cider is flowing very rapidly.

Being a total noob when it comes to pressure barrels and safety valves (and being a little tipsy) I'm embarrassingly paranoid that any residual dissolved co2 is going to release and i've got a potential cider bomb on my hands.

I realise that it would have been better to use natural carbonation to dispense but can anybody calm my fears? At what sort of pressure release valves activate? Can I sleep soundly tonight or will my girlfriend and I have a very loud alarm call?

Perhaps ive seen too many batches of wine restart fermentation!

All the best, Dan.

P.S This doesnt taste bad at all ;-)

I don't have a lot of experience with the plastic pressure barrels, but I would find it hard to believe that an 8g carts is going to cause any issues with the release valve. The original Tap-A-Draft is designed to use two 8g carts and it is only a gallon and a half capacity.

Thank you for that.

When I was a kid and playing around with fermentation I caused a few pretty nasty bangs. None of them caused any damage but wow did they give me a fright!

I suppose I shouldn't worry too much. A safety valve is a safety valve and should do its job if needed I guess.

Would a kindly mod please move this thread before I upset the beer folk? :eek:

Back