Newb question....re. SG and frozen fruit wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have made a peach and a strawberry wine which are both in the secondary. I racked them both over last night and removed the bag of solids.

Until now, I have not been messing with SG; I have made a mixed berry wine and never checked the SG before bottling. But as I was reading last night on Jack Kellers site, he suggested that this is something I should pay attention to, otherwise my wine will be a waste.

I have a refractometer and checked the SG of both for which they were both at about 1.030. Do I leave in the secondary, racking every 30 days or so, until the SG drops below 1.000?? Or??

I have made a peach and a strawberry wine which are both in the secondary. I racked them both over last night and removed the bag of solids.

Until now, I have not been messing with SG; I have made a mixed berry wine and never checked the SG before bottling. But as I was reading last night on Jack Kellers site, he suggested that this is something I should pay attention to, otherwise my wine will be a waste.

I have a refractometer and checked the SG of both for which they were both at about 1.030. Do I leave in the secondary, racking every 30 days or so, until the SG drops below 1.000?? Or??

You can't really use a refractometer for SG once alcohol is in the wine- it skews the readings.

You'll need either some conversions through some software (which still isn't very accurate) or a hydrometer reading now.

Back