Newb question about bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Ive got a batch of red ale coming alng nicely. The clock is winding down to being time to bottle. Ive been saving my microbrew 22s and some 12s. Today I bought a case of 22s from my local brewing shop and straight away I noticed that they were much sturdier then the 22s Ive been saving. My question is will the microbrew bottles be ok to use?

Also, I have a 64oz growler with a screw top, would this be ok to bottle into?

Cheers.

Screw top growler is a nono. The cap won't seal well enough for the pressure of carbonation to happen, and even if it could, growlers aren't meant to hold pressure (except for the brown swing top fancy ones)... so you might end up with a bomb.

22oz commercial bottles are totally fine to use. there are different styles of bottles of course, and the beers you have bought with the thicker glass are just different. they'll be fine to carb up to 3 or 3.5 vols of CO2. most beers are between 2 and 2.5 volumes, so you'll be good to go.

Back