Newb looking for opinions on my first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshrode21

Reaction score
I started homebrewing not too long ago. Have done 7 or 8 extract kits with pretty good results. This is my first shot at coming up with an extract recipe of my own and hoping to take that next step in homebrewing. It's my play on a red. Please tell me your thoughts. (and hopefully be gentle)

5.75 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) 85.19 %

0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 11.11 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 3.70 %

1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] 60 minutes
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] 2 minutes

White Labs #WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Est Original Gravity: 1.051
Est Final Gravity: 1.014
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.84 %
Bitterness: 25.4 IBU
Est Color: 15.5 SRM

I am not sure if I have heard of a red with roasted barley in it. This will have a huge flavor impact similar to a stout so if that is what your looking for, good otherwise I would pick something a little more subtle like a dark crystal or special B

The Roasted Barley will give you a nice edge, very Irish; but it should be subtle. I'd cut the amount in half, .125#

I like it!

I'd also cut down on the hops, possibly by as much as 50%, unless you are Americanizing the Irish Red. JMO

I started homebrewing not too long ago. Have done 7 or 8 extract kits with pretty good results. This is my first shot at coming up with an extract recipe of my own and hoping to take that next step in homebrewing. It's my play on a red. Please tell me your thoughts. (and hopefully be gentle)

5.75 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) 85.19 %

0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 11.11 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 3.70 %

1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] 60 minutes
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] 2 minutes

White Labs #WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Est Original Gravity: 1.051
Est Final Gravity: 1.014
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.84 %
Bitterness: 25.4 IBU
Est Color: 15.5 SRM

I've seen a lot of reds with roasted barley in them and even put some in my own. I keep in the neighborhood of 1% and really it's just for color. Otherwise it looks ok. I wouldn't have a flavor or aroma hop, just bittering.

Looks pretty decent. You are using the Irish Ale yeast. Are you looking for an Irish red, or just trying to add some charachter with that yeast? The IBU's are a tad high for an Irish, but not at all out of line with an American Amber. Of course that is just according to style guidelines and if you are just brewing for personal enjoyment put the IBU's wherever the heck you want em. You might bump the barley back just a hair. I think it will be an nice beer.

Thanks for all of the info so far. I am looking for more of an Irish Red but not afraid to go outside the box a little bit. Just trying to experiment and learn as much as I can and hopefully accidentally discovering an amazing recipe. So what I'm looking at now is dropping the roast barley down to .125 lbs. Should I drop the williamette down to 1/2 oz or take them out completely to bring it closer to an Irish style red?

Perfect on the barley. I guess it is not so much that your IBU's are too high, but rather an Irish rarely uses flavor or aroma hops. They would normally just bitter on the front end with an English variety. If you are not entering into competition then don't sweat it. A traditional Irish would not use any mid or late hops at all that might be found in the aroma, but if you want some hop aroma in yours then Williamette is a pretty good choice I would say.

Looks good to me, what style is it? British mild? brown? **edit** Oh, you said its a red.

Maybe scale back the roasted barley a little, that will go along way in this beer. Maybe try half the roasted barley and up the extract a hair. Thats me though, if you love roasted barley then,:rockin:!

That looks like a solid recipe for an Irish Red.

If you want to experiment with an American style red, you could bump up to like 8 lb of extract and use at least twice the amount of hops, and maybe even try dry hopping (adding hops to the carboy near the end of fermentation).

A good way to clarify before bottling is to stick the carboy in a fridge (or in a cold garage) for a few (several) days and let everything settle (a "cold crash"), then take it out and bottle. You'll be able to better appreciate the red color without all the haze, or just leave it the secondary for a couple months!

about a year ago I brewed an extract brew with:
6 lb light DME
0.5 lb crystal 10
0.5 lb crystal 80
0.5 lb of TOASTED Maris Otter, (put in oven on cookie sheet for 10 min at 350)
East Kent Goldings and Williamette to equal about 15 IBU at 60 min
Irish ale yeast

This recipe turned out extremely well, it is similar to yours, good luck

Back