Newb kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMahn

Reaction score
I have my first keg carbonating. I am checking carbonation every other day by drawing off a small glass. So far, it seems flat. No problem, it's been 5 days, probably needs more time.

Here is my question - is it sufficient to draw off only 2-4 oz to test the carbonation? I'm probably only pulling the beer that is sitting in the beer line. I'm wondering if the beer in the beer line will be at the same carbonation level as the beer in the keg. Or will beer in the line generally be flatter than the keg?

Thanks.

-E

I have my first keg carbonating. I am checking carbonation every other day by drawing off a small glass. So far, it seems flat. No problem, it's been 5 days, probably needs more time.

Here is my question - is it sufficient to draw off only 2-4 oz to test the carbonation? I'm probably only pulling the beer that is sitting in the beer line. I'm wondering if the beer in the beer line will be at the same carbonation level as the beer in the keg. Or will beer in the line generally be flatter than the keg?

Thanks.

-E

Interested to see the responses. But in my experience the beer in the line IS flatter than in the keg. I usually draw off a tasting glass, drink it, then draw again and it's much more carbonated.

My beer lines are coiled on top of the kegs and the faucets are above that point. Usually, my first few onces are higher pressure/carbonation and it evens out after that.
You can pulled test glasses to determine proper carbonation, but IMO, you won't see minimal carbonation until 2 weeks and complete carbonation for 3 weeks at serving pressures and temps.
You won't see much at all after 5 days if doing the set and forget method (which is my preferred), but you will if using higher pressure and rolling to quick carb.

I'm assuming that you have it at service pressure of 10-12psi and stored at 38-40*F. In that case, you're getting close to 1/2 way there. Mine are usually decently carbed at 10-12 days. I prefer to give them another 7-10 days beyond that before considering them ready for prime time.

If you want/need it faster, chill to 38*F, carb at 30psi for 36 hours, vent and reset to serving pressure for a day or two. No need to shake.

Yeah. 38 degrees. 10 psi. Set and forget.

I wasn't expecting it to be fully carbed yet, but my question is more about technique for testing. Is there an inherent flaw in testing carbonation that only comes from the beer line or should I pull more beer so I get it from the keg? I'd prefer to pull as little beer as possible for testing, but if I need to pull more beer to do an accurate test, then I'd like to know that.

Yeah. 38 degrees. 10 psi. Set and forget.

I wasn't expecting it to be fully carbed yet, but my question is more about technique for testing. Is there an inherent flaw in testing carbonation that only comes from the beer line or should I pull more beer so I get it from the keg? I'd prefer to pull as little beer as possible for testing, but if I need to pull more beer to do an accurate test, then I'd like to know that.

The only inherent flaw is in testing to much to soon.

I cant really tell you how much you should pull for a test as your beer lines and setup differ from mine and others. Only you can determine how much you need to pull to get a reasonable test. Also, since it takes nearer to 14 days for decent carbonation at 38F and 10psi, then wait until then to start testing. That way your pulling as little as possible instead of wasting beer for 2 weeks testing something that's not ready to test.

I wasted my share of beer when I first started kegging by sampling way to soon.
Now I don't even consider tapping a keg for 21-30 days. They need time to carbonate and clear without being disturbed. IMO

No such thing as wasted tests is there? I even drink my gravity samples at pitching/transfer. ;-)

I find that the beer in my lines is much more foamy than than what comes out at the end of the glass or the second glass. I've found it makes a big difference to coil up the line and stuff it down to the bottom of the keezer vertically. This seems to minimize the amount of air pockets that form in the line and then come out foamy.

I also find 2 weeks at 11-12 psi is what it takes to get up to a reasonable carbonation. I agree though, it does tend to get better by week 3 and 4. But who can wait that long?

No such thing as wasted tests is there? I even drink my gravity samples at pitching/transfer. ;-)
I agree though, it does tend to get better by week 3 and 4. But who can wait that long?

Very true, tests are not a waste and quite useful, only excessive tests are WASTEFUL

Good point. Its hard to wait when starting out and only having 1 or 2 kegs.
Its easier for me to "appear" to have patience because I always have 4 on tap and 4 more carbing/aging.

IMO there is less carbonation in the lines. But I also just put it to 30 psi for 48 hrs then back down to serving pressure, with no issues. It does clear better over time tho.

Back