Newb keg questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachatola

Reaction score
I got a keg kit from my SWMBO and then i got ahold of another 3 from a guy in town, all in good shape, ive replaced the Orings on all, and have been reading a lot about kegging but here are some Qs ive got.

I have heard of cutting the pick up tube of about 3/4 - 1" off the bottom is this necessary?

This is my first time kegging, and i have a dual reg, and two picnic taps, i woudl like to brew up maybe 2 different kinds of brew for my wedding, but i have to haul my kegs 10 hrs to where my wedding willl be.....

What is the best way to transport? I would like to have them carbed already, is that going to cause me all sorts of issues? Blowing pop offs and what not? foam for days.... i will probably have about 1-2 days of sitting after transport before serving.

My wedding is in July, when would be a good time to start brewing, i dont have a fridge to store my kegs, just a cool garage..... i dont want my brew to get nasty before i have a chance to serve them...

I have heard of cutting the pick up tube of about 3/4 - 1" off the bottom is this necessary?

I have never done that, I am guessing people do so to get it away from any sediment? But anything that collects around it will be sucked up and out the first draw.

What is the best way to transport? I would like to have them carbed already, is that going to cause me all sorts of issues? Blowing pop offs and what not? foam for days.... i will probably have about 1-2 days of sitting after transport before serving.

Just carb as usual and disconnect then transport anyway you want, just make sure you cool them back down before using them again and they should be fine.

My wedding is in July, when would be a good time to start brewing, i dont have a fridge to store my kegs, just a cool garage..... i dont want my brew to get nasty before i have a chance to serve them...

Well this depends on the style you want to have ready by then. Just make sure you have enough time for them to reach FG and kegged. They will be fine once carbed for a couple months, even if they have to be stored at room temp.

It's not necessary, but I cut all my tubes. You won't lose more than a couple of ounces in the bottom and it leaves a lot of sediment behind. I cut no more than 3/4". :mug:

It's also easier for cleaning, you can pull the post's off and dip tubes and drop them in the keg and soak in oxy clean, with the tubes cut they will just fit under the top lip, so they get a good soak.

I dont cut my diptubes, I cold crash in the fermenter instead. If it still picked up a bit of sediment then I transfer to another keg after its chilled for a week.
I transport full carbed kegs in my trunk all the time, keep it cold and vent a bit of pressure before serving.
If everthing is sanatized, full kegs keep for long periods of time. There are many brews that once kegged go to the spare room for storage or aging, sometimes for over a year.

Back