New Zealand Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JReasoner

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing up a NZ Pilsner tomorrow and I'm trying to decide on which hops to use. I'm going to be using 100% Weyerman Pils malt, starting with RO water and adjusting similarly to a German Pils.

I'm thinking Pacific Jade for bittering, and I have Rakay, Nelson Sauvin and Motueka as well. Would like to try out the Nelsons, but I don't know how well the others pair with it. I'm open to any tips or experience with these hops, as tomorrow will be my first experience with any of them except Motueka.

Did you brew this? What did you end up going with for the recipe? My expectation is this would subtly express the tropical, fruity New Zealand hop flavors, instead of the German noble hop "earthiness."

For a 7 gallon batch I went with:

15lbs Pilsner malt
.5oz of Pacific Jade @ 60 minutes
.5oz Nelson Sauvin @ 15 min
.5oz Rakau @ 15 min
.75oz Nelson Sauvin @ 5 min
.75oz Rakau @ 5 min

I'm hoping that it does exactly what you're describing. Gordon Strong has done a writeup for a BJCP profile for the style, that's where I got the inspiration from. I hope to know how it turned out in a couple weeks, I can't wait.

I brewed one this past February that I enter in the 30th Annual Hudson Valley Homebrew Competition and won the Pilsner category. I used Nelson and Riwaka. That’s just a great combo. With the hops you have on hand, I would go with Nelson and Motueka.

I used 93% Pilsner malt, 5% carapils, 2% biscuit.

.5 oz nelson at 60

.75oz Nelson at 10
.50oz Riwaka at 10

.75 oz Nelson at 5
.50oz Riwaka at 5

I’ve added a picture and my score sheets as a reference to help you build your recipe. I also bottled for the comp from my keg, which is why I got the lower carb comments and knocked points there. I learned for next time though
FEC8286C-C21C-40F6-97D5-E3F8A47C541B.jpeg
186F686C-9CF4-40A6-A529-739DF465B651.jpeg
2BDE8103-FE8D-470D-BDD0-3E4C69A6129E.jpeg

Last edited:
@Dgallo what did you do for yeast selection and fermentation schedule? I've seen many lager recipes online that don't actually lager (cold condition) the beer, which seems wrong.

@Dgallo what did you do for yeast selection and fermentation schedule? I've seen many lager recipes online that don't actually lager (cold condition) the beer, which seems wrong.
I used 34/70 and fermented at 58*f. I was at fg at day 8 but had quite a bit of sulfur so raised the temp to 5
62*f and conditioned in primary an addition 14 days. Then lagered at serving temps for 2 weeks

I’ve read them too, I won’t say they are necessarily wrong as long as it ferments clean. I do plan on giving 34/70 a run at 65*f to see if I notice any difference.

After seeing these comments, I'm definitely going to have to make it again with Nelson and either Motueka or Riwaka. I can't wait to see how it turned out with the Rakau, it smelled terrific going into the fermenter.

Well done, I'm from New Zealand and love our Pilsners! I'm making one at the moment with Wakatu, Motueka, Nelson Sauvin and Pacifica.

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested: League F5 NZ Pilsner (AG).pdf

Only thing I would change is it's a bit heavy on the acidulated malt. Gladfield malts are quite high DI Ph but this dropped the mash ph a bit much.

Well done, I'm from New Zealand and love our Pilsners! I'm making one at the moment with Wakatu, Motueka, Nelson Sauvin and Pacifica.

Only thing I would change is it's a bit heavy on the acidulated malt. Gladfield malts are quite high DI Ph but this dropped the mash ph a bit much.

Thanks. I was hoping a real live Kiwi could weigh in!

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure using metric makes the math a whole lot easier (jealous). Curious - How come you use PSI and SG? Wouldn't Pa and Plato be the metric equivalent?

I brewed one this past February that I enter in the 30th Annual Hudson Valley Homebrew Competition and won the Pilsner category. I used Nelson and Riwaka. That’s just a great combo. With the hops you have on hand, I would go with Nelson and Motueka.

.5 oz nelson at 60

.75oz Nelson at 10
.50oz Riwaka at 10

.75 oz Nelson at 5
.50oz Riwaka at 5

I’ve added a picture and my score sheets as a reference to help you build your recipe. I also bottled for the comp from my keg, which is why I got the lower carb comments and knocked points there. I learned for next time though View attachment 682517View attachment 682520View attachment 682521

Holly cow that last bjcp score handwritting

Holly cow that last bjcp score handwritting
Shrug.
That handwriting is still 200% more legible and neater than mine. I'm to the point where if I ever have to write anything down, its just a line or two and a few random dots where there may or may not be a lowercase 'I'. Then come back to it at a later date and guess as best as I can.

.5 oz nelson at 60

.75oz Nelson at 10
.50oz Riwaka at 10

.75 oz Nelson at 5
.50oz Riwaka at 5

I’ve added a picture and my score sheets as a reference to help you build your recipe. I also bottled for the comp from my keg, which is why I got the lower carb comments and knocked points there. I learned for next time though View attachment 682517View attachment 682520View attachment 682521

Cheers! Anyone looking for a great NZ Pilsner try this!

Attachments

• B486FE88-EF56-4123-8700-9705A7417B1C.jpeg
    B486FE88-EF56-4123-8700-9705A7417B1C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64
  • 7F00E6F4-68C9-4AE0-9BCB-7C08F0965164.jpeg
    7F00E6F4-68C9-4AE0-9BCB-7C08F0965164.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
After seeing these comments, I'm definitely going to have to make it again with Nelson and either Motueka or Riwaka. I can't wait to see how it turned out with the Rakau, it smelled terrific going into the fermenter.
I was curious if you had any feedback on how it turned out. I have a NZ pils with Waimea and Rakau planned

.5 oz nelson at 60

.75oz Nelson at 10
.50oz Riwaka at 10

.75 oz Nelson at 5
.50oz Riwaka at 5

I stumbled upon this thread awhile ago and made note of it. I just kegged a version of this using Biermunchers Centennial blonde but with your hop schedule and A07/1056 fermented cool to keep it clean. Man alive these NZ hops pack a punch! Be interesting to see how it mellows out.

I just did a NZ pils with nelson and it was phenomenal. Definitely best pilsner I've done and I'm going to keep doing them all like this, but try different hops. I have some wai-iti in the freezer to use next. I have a feeling the nelson may be my favorite no matter how many I try though, such a great hop.

I emailed Creature Comforts because I noticed they did one with nelson and I was curious of their grain bill, as some of the pictures online had a beautiful yellow/orange tint to it and I thought they may have added something else but they said no, 100% pils malt. So that's what I used too

I just did a NZ pils with nelson and it was phenomenal. Definitely best pilsner I've done and I'm going to keep doing them all like this, but try different hops. I have some wai-iti in the freezer to use next. I have a feeling the nelson may be my favorite no matter how many I try though, such a great hop.

I emailed Creature Comforts because I noticed they did one with nelson and I was curious of their grain bill, as some of the pictures online had a beautiful yellow/orange tint to it and I thought they may have added something else but they said no, 100% pils malt. So that's what I used too
Sounds delicious, especially now that the weather is warming up.
Care to share your hop schedule?

Sounds delicious, especially now that the weather is warming up.
Care to share your hop schedule?
It's proprietary. I can't give out full recipes for beers this good

Just kidding. I used Ella hops on the hot side mainly because Nelson is so expensive and I like to save it for whirlpool/dry hopping

I did .25 oz Ella at 45 and 30, and .5 oz Ella at 15 minutes. Then whirlpooled with 2 oz Nelson and dry hopped near the end of fermentation with 2 oz Nelson. All pils malt and 34/70 yeast. Pretty simple

Wakatu and Motueka are both well suited to lager styles too. Wakatu was bred using Mittelfruh and a native NZ hop, and Motueka is Saaz/NZ native. German/NZ hybrid hops.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure using metric makes the math a whole lot easier (jealous). Curious - How come you use PSI and SG? Wouldn't Pa and Plato be the metric equivalent?
these are the hops I bought! Going to build an IPA using some of your ideas

Hops
Ariana
Saphir
Nelson Sauvin

thanks for any comments.

Wakatu and Motueka are both well suited to lager styles too. Wakatu was bred using Mittelfruh and a native NZ hop, and Motueka is Saaz/NZ native. German/NZ hybrid hops.
Yeah those could be good. I've used them both in hazy IPAs before. I've found Motueka to be pretty mild though so I don't know if it'll have the pop nelson does, although if there was ever a beer it could shine a pilsner may be it. I'm thinking wai-iti could be underwhelming too but I'm going to try it next anyways. Southern Cross is another interesting one.

Yeah those could be good. I've used them both in hazy IPAs before. I've found Motueka to be pretty mild though so I don't know if it'll have the pop nelson does, although if there was ever a beer it could shine a pilsner may be it. I'm thinking wai-iti could be underwhelming too but I'm going to try it next anyways. Southern Cross is another interesting one.
Depends what you're after but Motueka and Wakatu work well in pilsners. Less intense than Nelson but not necessarily a bad thing. I'm enjoying Wakatu at the moment in this context.

Depends what you're after but Motueka and Wakatu work well in pilsners. Less intense than Nelson but not necessarily a bad thing. I'm enjoying Wakatu at the moment in this context.
Well for this style I'm after intense, or at least as intense as you can get in a pilsner without ruining it with too much hoppyness. The people who have tried the nelson NZ pilsner I made really liked it because it had a very non-pilsner like quality. Fruity with that unique nelson thing going on. If I'd wanted to make a more traditional pils I would've just used Ella in the whole recipe, which is what I was initially thinking I was going to do when I bought the ella hops.

Well for this style I'm after intense, or at least as intense as you can get in a pilsner without ruining it with too much hoppyness. The people who have tried the nelson NZ pilsner I made really liked it because it had a very non-pilsner like quality. Fruity with that unique nelson thing going on. If I'd wanted to make a more traditional pils I would've just used Ella in the whole recipe, which is what I was initially thinking I was going to do when I bought the ella hops.
I’m made some adjustments to this recipe over the years. I will say it has become my top 3 favorite recipes. I’ve entered three comps with this beers. 1 gold 1 silver and the last comp was the AHA’s National Homebrew Competition, it didn’t place but it made through each round, making the final table out of 205 beers in its category . The thing I’ve walked away with this recipe is that the simple grain bill with a 34/70 allows hops to just pop. It amazes me every time I brew it how much aroma and character I get out of less than 5 oz of hops.

this years recipe will be Riwaka, Motueka, & Nelson

Last edited:
Yes I understand.

I’m made some adjustments to this recipe over the years. I will say it has become my top 3 favorite recipes. I’ve entered three comps with this beers. 1 gold 1 silver and the last comp was the AHA’s National Homebrew Competition, it didn’t place but it made through each round, making the final table out of 205 beers in its category . The thing I’ve walked away with this recipe is that the simple grain bill with a 34/70 allows hops to just pop. It amazes me every time I brew it how much aroma and character I get out of less than 5 oz of hops.

this years recipe will be Riwaka, Motueka, & Nelson
Interesting hop usage and grain bill. I’m going to apply your philosophy Thanks.

Back