New Zealand IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FungusBrew

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My LHBS recently stocked up on a bunch of New Zealand hops. I've always admired kiwi culture, ideology, and beer, so a part of me couldn't help but pick some up. Either way; I'd like to brew a bright, fresh, citrus themed IPA. Here's my prototype recipe, it's pretty much based off of Yoopers' Dogfish Head 60min IPA clone.

-12lbs Organic 2-row
-8ozs crystal 10L
-1 tsp Irish Moss (10mins)

.75oz NZ Pacific Gem 15% (60mins)
.25oz NZ Green Bullet 13.8% (60mins)
.5oz NZ Motueka 8.6% (35mins)
.5oz NZ Pacifica 5.8% (30mins)
.5oz NZ Motueka 8.6% (dry hopped)
.5oz NZ Pacifica 5.8% (dry hopped)
.25oz NZ Pacific Gem 15% (dry hopped)
Starting at 35 minutes I'll add a little of each of the remaining hops over the course of the boil.

-1/2 tsp lemon zest (secondary)
-1/2 tsp lime zest (secondary)

Rogue Pacman Yeast (or any high attenuative yeast? suggestions?)

So what do you guys think? I've never worked with zests before? Would they contribute too much of a bitterness? What kind of malts could I use to brighten it up a bit? Anyone have experience with these hop strains? I'm still newer to brewing, and am completly open to criticism!

Thanks!

My man that sounds fantastic, no idea about the zests but i would also love to try brewing a New Zealand ipa like this. Although wouldn't you be better using those 30-35 min additions around the 5-15 min mark? Get more flavour and aroma from them.

I think the only malt that adds any kind of brightness to a beer is wheat malt.

And I agree with moving hop additions closer to the end of the boil. In all my beers, the hops go in either at 60 minutes, or 20 and under.

As for the zest, I think you could probably put a lot more than that. Check out some wit recipes to get an idea of how much people are putting in. Also listen to the Brewing Network's Jamil Show on Witbier. Dr Scott talks about buying every kind of citrus fruit in the store and making a huge amount of zest.

While I don't think you'll want as much zest as a Witbier, I actually think you could get close. The hops themselves will be very powerful and I think the zest will mix in and become one of those je ne sais quoi flavors that people pick up on. I imagine it will be like when people add coffee to porters/stouts. In the final beer, sometimes it's hard to tell what flavors are from the coffee and what's from the dark grains.

Any experience brewing with Kaffir Lime Leaves? I hear they bring some nice citrus flavors through if used in moderation, I'm not sure if they would go best in the boil, or secondary with all those hops?

Used the lime leaves, this beer tastes like lysol. I used 8 for a 4.5 gallon batch...way to overbearing. Damn. "moderation" is the key here I guess.

I wouldn't personally use ANY Pac Gem as a late addition. I've done it, and I hate that hop, and there aren't any other hops I can think of that I hate like that. Harsh berry flavor from that hop. Not pleasant at all, IMHO.

What about some Nelson Sauvin? VERY pungent, so use in small amounts. But it's a beautiful hop.

Latest posts

Back