New Zealand Hops are the cats meow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
I'm only using new zealand hops from now on. Unless of course I get free samples or holiday gifts.

I love new Zealand hops..Here is my experience so far.

Greenbullet:clean bitter, excellent dual use hop...bitter and aroma are great.

Pacificgem:High alpha acid cutie really packs a bunch, again also amazing aroma.

Riwaka:The most oily of noble hop character you can get. I love this hop...love it to death...super duper aroma/bittering hop. If you want to make a single hop beer that is sessionable and potent this is the one.

Southerncross:This high alpha acid beauty is the quintessential bitter It's right on the tip of the tongue and gets in in the back of the throat on the last gulp. Wonderful hop.

I'm not going to say american hops are no good. But New Zealand hops have a character that can be identifiable and I love it. I'll keep using them until the supply gets hard to find.

Most of the ones my homebrewshop has are from the 2010 and 09...The 09 Riwaka was awesome.

I think NZ hops are a great addition to the hops we all know and love. It'd be good to combine what folks specifically perceive from each variety in this thread. Overall I find NZ hops to be very smooth and super fruity. I find most on their own need to be blended with US citrus hops to get a pleasing IPA profile. My perception of the ones I've tried:

- Nelson S: Super strong aromatic and flavor. Does anyone really know WTF gooseberries smell like?? C'mon! I get a very resiny, slight grapefruit, uniquely dank flavor. Aroma is unique as well, VERY resiny, some pine, a touch of citrus. A standout and nothing like it.

- Motueka: I really like this hop. Not as fruity as most NZ hops, a bit more of a balance between the fruit and citrus characteristics of US citrus hops.

- Pacifica: Very fruity flavor and aroma, leaning towards peach/apricot.

- Pacific Gem: A turbo-charged Fuggles. I don't like Fuggles, so this hop was not for me.

- Riwaka: I think this is as close as a NZ hop gets to being US 'C' in character. A bit smoother tho'.

- Rakau: Slight spice mixed with fruit and a touch of citrus. Smooth.

- Galaxy: I know this is Aussie, but it's a new/exotic so thought I'd throw it on this list. Very strong fruit flavor and aroma, like a turbo Pacifica.

Shhhhh. Don't let everyone know or else there will be a shortage of NZ hops or the price will dramatically rise.

Time to schedule a trip to visit good friends in NZ. Thanks for the reminder...

I love Nelson Sauvin and Pacific Gem to death. Nelson Sauvin, IMO, makes the best single hop IPA ever.

I just finished an IPA with all Rakau, so I can't wait to taste it. It's dry hopped primed and carbed in the keg, just waiting for an open tap. Can't wait to try it, and I just bought a pound of Nelson.

Sweet.

I think NZ hops are a great addition to the hops we all know and love. It'd be good to combine what folks specifically perceive from each variety in this thread. Overall I find NZ hops to be very smooth and super fruity. I find most on their own need to be blended with US citrus hops to get a pleasing IPA profile. My perception of the ones I've tried:

- Nelson S: Super strong aromatic and flavor. Does anyone really know WTF gooseberries smell like?? C'mon! I get a very resiny, slight grapefruit, uniquely dank flavor. Aroma is unique as well, VERY resiny, some pine, a touch of citrus. A standout and nothing like it.

- Motueka: I really like this hop. Not as fruity as most NZ hops, a bit more of a balance between the fruit and citrus characteristics of US citrus hops.

- Pacific Gem: A turbo-charged Fuggles. I don't like Fuggles, so this hop was not for me.

- Riwaka: I think this is as close as a NZ hop gets to being US 'C' in character. A bit smoother tho'.

- Galaxy: I know this is Aussie, but it's a new/exotic so thought I'd throw it on this list. Very strong fruit flavor and aroma, like a turbo Pacifica.

Great descriptions. Thanks for taking the time to post this - takes the guess work out of things.

I don't know about gooseberries, but every beer I've made with Nelson had a distinct sauvignon blanc grape flavor when young. I also get a little bit of a hibiscus flavor in paler brews with motueka.

All the beers I have had that use Nelson have a strong B.0 smell. I used them a few times in my ipa thinking it was an infection but one of local brewery here did a NZ ipa and a Nelson ipa and I was overwhelmed by B.O:(( am I the only one??

I just pulled my first glass of Rakau, orange citrus smack. Smells like I am smelling a glass of OJ. Would be a great dry hop for an orange pale ale or anything with orange peel. I would totally use this to dry hop a orange hefe.

Back