New Zealand Craft Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tokoroa_Brewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a question for all the kiwis out there.
Now that I'm getting into home brewing, I would like to try a few different craft beers, to get a better taste of what I would like to brew. I'm very limited as to where I can buy beer where I am ( only places are New World, Countdown and Super Liquor). I usually drink Wild Buck as well as the usual international beers, Corona, Steinlagar and Heineken. Any direction as to what beers I should try first would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jesse

Well there are quite a few here and its hard to find somewhere to start, so I would suggest close to home with a visit to the Crafty Trout in Taupo, and Croucher in Rotorua (at Brew on Eat street) and Brewaucracy in Hamilton (no idea where they actually sell that, I've only had it at a beer fest and they don't have their own brewery).

Other than those I would track down some Black Dog and Garage Project (probably my two favourite breweries, although Garage Project can get weird/extreme), Emersons which are also a favourite, Mikes Whiskey Porter (this one needs a cigar to go with it I think), Harringtons Wobbly Boot Porter is great and smooth...

There aren't too many Kiwi beers I avoid really, the monteiths/boundary road/macs craft styles can be a safe choice as they tend to be quite tame versions of a given style, but personally I prefer something with a bit more grunt and thats where the smaller breweries step up.

God I'm rambling on, so I'm going to narrow it down to a mixed 6er

1. Black Dog, Kiwi Unleashed APA
2. Garage Project, Hapi Daze
3. Panhead, Port Hills Pilsener
4. Monteiths, Stout
5. Mikes, Whiskey Porter
6. Brew Mountain, Pale Pat Surpreme
7. Emmersons, 1812.

Or just try them all, thats what im trying to do but do suffer from having poor selection in a small town.

Hey everyone. I have a question for all the kiwis out there.
Now that I'm getting into home brewing, I would like to try a few different craft beers, to get a better taste of what I would like to brew. I'm very limited as to where I can buy beer where I am ( only places are New World, Countdown and Super Liquor). I usually drink Wild Buck as well as the usual international beers, Corona, Steinlagar and Heineken. Any direction as to what beers I should try first would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jesse

Plenty of Choice bro.
Generally Most New Worlds hold stock of some Craft Selection. Typically Tuatara, Emersons & Harringtons. If you get a good New World (They tend to Vary greatly in some places) theres a much larger more significant selection to shoose from. Tuatara do a mixed six pack which is good to get a feel for styles and what you like, so personally like my, I'd start there.
If your at Countdown, Epic is the only real choice.
Not sure on Supler Liquor, but I think the normal suspects as above.
emersons do some great beers. Bookbinder is a good session ale, their pilsner and 1812 are great.
Harringtons beers are good, the wobbly boot, and pig and whistle are personal favourites.

but the best way to learn is just to drink beer, find something local and try it. normally something you've never had before.

Oh and if you find 8wired, go for the Tall Poppy or Hopwired. Best REDIPA and NZIPA on the market IMO.

Cool. Thanks for that. I know that New World has monteiths/boundary road and macs. And they have just got in four beers from Black Dog. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the others you mentioned. And I'll try to go to the places you said as well. ( the wife's grandparents live in taupo, I think that's a good reason to get her to agree to go there. Haha )

Also MOA are really good, do an incredible Pinot noir barrelled imperial stout

Back