New York

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm heading to New York this weekend for my b-day with some friends, and I'm looking for suggestions. I've been to Blind Tiger, so that's on the menu, as well as McSorleys (for the ambiance ;) ). What else is around that general area as far as beer bars? The Ginger Man is also on the list, but all these places get really crowded on the weekends, and I'm travelling with at least 6 people. Anything off the beaten path that I should check out? Any speakeasy joints?

Do a search, I'm pretty sure I answered this question at length a few weeks ago... but Gingerman is good if you go in the afternoon and near there on W33rd (bet. Mad & 5th) is 'Rattle 'n Hum' which is a new craft beer-only pub and it's EXCELLENT! So that's a good 1-2 punch right there. 'The Room' on Thompson St is a great little cozy beer/wine place too. If you don't find the previous thread I'm happy to chime in some more...

hop devil grill on st marks pl in the east village. They always keep a great selection on tap.

From the website:

Just Drafted:

Abita Pecan Harvest
Anderson Valley Deep Enders Porter
Avery IPA
Bear Republic Apex IPA
Brooklyn Pilsner
Captain Lawrence Extra Gold
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
Delirium Tremens
Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat
Keegan Mother's Milk
Guinness Stout
Lake Placid Ubu Ale
LionsHead Pilsner
Long Trail Ale
Olde Saratoga Lager
Ommegang Abbeye Ale
Oskar Blues Gordon Imperial IPA
Pennichuck IPA
Rogue Chipotle Ale
Saranac Pale Ale
Sly Fox Saison Vos
Southampton Double White
Smuttynose Old Brown Dog
Stone IPA
Stone Levitation Ale
Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Victory HopDevil IPA
Victory Abbey 6 Dubbel
Woodchuck Dark & Dry Cider
last updated 04/17/2009

Of course go to Blind Tiger, doesn't matter how many times you've been already :rockin:

Waterfront Ale House on 30th and 2nd Ave (eat there too, especially if you like very spicy food, check out their hot sauce)

New beer bar on 46th and 10th called Pony Bar is quiet and relaxing during the day. Have a good beer list.

I'd go to the Whole Foods beer room on Bowery

Burp Castle is a nice small place

Also, check this out for events - Beer Menus - Find Great Beer in New York City

God, I could keep going for hours on places to go....Enjoy!

Sorry, in terms of speakeasys (not great beer but awesome cocktails) go to:

-PDT (in the back of a hot dog restaurant called Criff Dogs....you have to go through the phone booth to get in. Very small place, sometimes a long wait).

-Little Branch is fantastic, tell the bartender what alcohol you like and have them make you whatever they think is best

-Death and Company is a nice place as well

-Pegu Club - I love this place. Get the Gin Gin Mule

Keep in mind, you'll be paying much more than normal for these cocktails, say $15 bucks.

My mouth is watering....

Hop Devil grill blows. Where are you staying? Barcade is fun if you can deal with all the hipsters.

Peculiar Pub in the Village on Bleeker street (not sure where though) has like 100+ beers (not all on tap, but some crazy imported stuff). Cool place, but can get crowded.

Stop by brooklyn brewery perhaps. Not a fantastic tour but I certainly don't regret going and drinking very fresh beer.

Peculiar Pub in the Village on Bleeker street (not sure where though) has like 100+ beers (not all on tap, but some crazy imported stuff). Cool place, but can get crowded.

Good call, we're hanging in the Village for a little while and aren't looking to travel the island for beer (got non-beer drinkers in the crowd). We're staying in a corporate apartment on 53rd street.

Stop by brooklyn brewery perhaps. Not a fantastic tour but I certainly don't regret going and drinking very fresh beer.

definitely, they do a happy hour on fri or sat (check the website) and its like $30 for 6 tokens, each token = 1 beer. so its not only delicious, but relatively inexpensive by nyc standards.

Back