**** New Years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Yes, **** New Years. What a ****ing ****ed up ****ed year this was. Period.

I dunno what the four asterisks are supposed to be. Hmmm... cars? no that's not it. fish. no. ****? Oh, there, that's it.

No, I should not use this forum to vent, but. .... in the beginning of the year I moved to New Mexico to open a brewpub, the spaceport brewpub, I was spbrewpub on this forum for a while. I gave up a $100K/yr job, cashed in my stocks, 401K, left my family in Colorado, relocated to a little bumbleboo town Truth or Consequences, where the Spaceport America is being built, put together a business plan and got active in the local scene. Going Pro, I guess it is called. I had the remainder of the cost of the brewpub - nearly half a million dollars - funded through an SBA loan, the bank believing in the idea, my family willing to relocate from Iowa to work the business, the plan, the location, solid. One week before signing the papers I found out that I had liver diseases; that I needed to stop drinking and loose some 60 pounds (I was tipping the scales at 257) and I had a one in ten chance of dying in the next five years unless I changed my ways. So, I backed out of the loan, moved back to Colorado, and spent the next four months getting into shape and getting my liver problems under control. So now, here I am, at the end of the year, unemployed, living off of the money I was going to invest in the brewpub ($12K gone so far), my health back but no plan, no path, no direction for the coming year. So yes, **** 2010, for the dream of going pro and failing from my own self-abuse, for disrupting my family not once but twice, only to end up in the same place I started, but this time without income and without. ... a muse, a dream, a real understanding of where I am going and what I am going to do. I could live off of what I was going to put into my own place for the next couple of years; but then what? What would I have? I have the incredibly liberating - yet clueless - freedom of not knowing what the **** I will do next. That is where I am, this evening, this time where I normally would play Styx "Man in the Wilderness" and sit and drink and wonder what.

I know you don't want to hear this right now but... some folks would envy your position. You're open to anything at the moment. You're at a cusp and you can go pretty much anywhere you want now.

another bonus is you found out you had liver disease due to that, and there was no chance you'd find out otherwise, so you could get it under control

I understand why you feel the way you do, but really, when you get down to it, was it really a terrible year? Seems like you're focusing on all negative and none of the positive.

Here's what I can glean from your text: You have a family that loves you. They're willing to follow you anywhere because they believe you can do what you set your mind out to do. (kinda like happiness, 'cuz that's what a good family feels like)

You managed to clean up your health and possibly add a few decades to your life. If you didn't find out about the liver disease, or if the doc told you this 4 years from now, how much more pssed would you and the fam be? You have your health. Cherish this. I'm sure your wife and kids do.

Srsly, man. This could've taken a far worse turn. You found all this stuff out before you signed your life away. Kinda like having wealth, as opposed to being penniless.

Sounds like a pretty ok year to me.

You can do anything right now, so don't waste your time crying like a btch. Why don't you pour a sympathy shot of something (booze optional), feel like crap for a minute, and then suck the bless up and plan the next year. We're expecting something great. Don't let us down.

lest see I started this year on a good note ... sold my agency for good lump of change and was going to spend a few years trabling with the wife .. 12 days after I sold my wife has a lump... stage 2 breast cancer.. fast forward to today 40k in mef bills thats with with ins, chemo, radiation she now has thyroid cancer .... We have been together since 1978 married in 81 do the mat.

I have noidea if she will live past next new years day....

I never said anything on the site prior I am really a very private person but you need to realize there are people in much worse situations

I never said anything on the site prior I am really a very private person but you need to realize there are people in much worse situations

Wow Springer hope your wife recovers soon. I am having a toast for her now and will keep her in my thoughts.

My mom was bleeding and was diagnosed with Uterine Cancer. She just had all her lady parts removed 2 weeks ago and just waiting for the biopsy and hoping that it hasn't spread. She was at the Huntsman Cancer Institute and i while i am thankful for their great care we are worried about the bill, but what price can you put on it?

OP you might have had a $hitty year but in hindsight you are healthy, slimmer, and ready for a new future. Celebrate what you got rather then be sad for what went wrong.

Wow Springer hope your wife recovers soon. I am having a toast for her now and will keep her in my thoughts.

My mom was bleeding and was diagnosed with Uterine Cancer. She just had all her lady parts removed 2 weeks ago and just waiting for the biopsy and hoping that it hasn't spread. She was at the Huntsman Cancer Institute and i while i am thankful for their great care we are worried about the bill, but what price can you put on it?

Thanks for the thougts its g=hard to watch your wife go gfrom a vibrant women who rode a Harley fatboy from ny to Sturgis SD several times to someone who sleeps most of the day.

I have the money for the bills thats a non issue I wouldgo bankrupt if I had to

lest see I started this year on a good note ... sold my agency for good lump of change and was going to spend a few years trabling with the wife .. 12 days after I sold my wife has a lump... stage 2 breast cancer.. fast forward to today 40k in mef bills thats with with ins, chemo, radiation she now has thyroid cancer .... We have been together since 1978 married in 81 do the mat.
s

We'll be thinking about you and the wife, Springer. Treatment's come a long way in the last few years. Consider a glass raised and hopeful thoughts sent.

You too OP. Hopeful thoughts for your life sent as well.

I am a very young man but I have learnt that you should always ALWAYS be happy for what you have got because it all can turn to **** so quickly and so unbelievably badly. My love goes out to everyone and if I could have one wish it is that everyone ends this year happier than they entered it. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

This is a wonderful bunch of people. I was feeling pretty down last night when I posted; we all do have our stuff and it is obvious that others have far more serious things going on - yet they stay positive. They work through it, rather than ***** about it like I did. That is way cool. It is really up to ourselves to be the change, to make this a Happy New Year. Springer, I was married in 1979 and divorced in 1997. It is awesome that you have shared an entire life together, in spite of the horrible medical issues you have stuck by her side and her by yours. I envy that. I do wish the both of you the best and the best for everyone on this forum in 2011.:mug:

Back