New Years Day Pork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
It's a tradition to have pork on Brew Years Day here, so in the spirit of that I thought I'd post some pics of my other passion.

Here I have 4 Boston Butts rubbed in and ready to marinate overnight.
4ButtsReady.jpg

Here they are on my Big Green Egg ready to slow smoke for 22 hours.
4ButtsOnEgg.jpg

Here they are after 18 hours. They've been smoking at 210 degrees all night.
4ButtsAt18hours.jpg

Happy Brew Year Everyone! I wish this keg of Haus Ale lasted longer than 8 days! Sniff
HausAle3.jpg

I like pork tenderloins, but they can be hard to find around here except for packaged ones.

beer4breakfast said:
Those look great, Ed! Those are beautiful Boston Butts. I buy the boneless pork shoulders at CostCo, but they never seem to be quite that neat and pretty.

Thanks. I'd buy em at Costco too, but I don't do bonless. They flop around unless you tie them together, plus the inside has been exposed to the air which can increase bacteria problems when it is slow smoked. Bone-in is the way to go. When they are done, the bone falls out naked with no meat attached. The dogs love em!

What's funny is that if you ask a butcher for a Boston Butt here in Boston you get a bone-in shoulder cut, similar to a Picnic Cut but with the skin removed. Such is life!

Looks great though, it's good to see another BGE user. I do a lot of cooking on one, but also have a larger offset smoker when more capacity is required. Dammit my mouth is watering as I'm typing....WTF didn't I get a butt and some spareribs ready for today?!?!?!?! Good thinking, cheers, and happy new years!!!!

Thanks guys! The aroma is killing me as I approach the 22nd hour and the internal temp reaches 195 degrees. This is when all of the connective tissue & most of the fat renders out and it falls off the bone.

I'll then shred it, add a little more seasoning, and mix it up ready for cheap white buns and my homemade NC style Vinegar BBQ sauce.

I'm gonna vacume pack some for my ice fishing trip to Lake of the Woods, Minnesota later this week.

orfy said:
Ask a butcher here for a boston but and you'd get chuckedd out of the shop.

Can you explain it in generic terms?

Here it is from the National Pork Board.

"In pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War, some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog," like loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment. The way the hog shoulder was cut in the Boston area became known in other regions as "Boston Butt." This name stuck and today, Boston butt is called that almost everywhere in the US,… except in Boston.

Why would you be chucked out?

I've noticed that the grocery ads list it as Pork Butts - Bone In and not

Bone In Pork Butt.

Doesn't everyone want their Bone In Pork Butts?:D

Ah, bone in, bone out, bone in, bone out.

Nothing like Bone and Butt in a topic.

Here's the finished product. It's one of those big foil chaffing pans 4 inches deep. Almost 20 lbs. of pulled pork.

4ButtsPulled.jpg

That looks so good Ed, I can't even begin to tell you. :rockin: Apparently I have to seriously think about investing in a BGE.

Ize

JnJ said:
A man after my own heart. IF I wasn't already married and if I was gay, I'd marry you Ed. Can brew and BBQ. :D

Thanks. I've had the offer before. :cross:

I'm keeping track in case I get divorced and switch teams. :tank:

I doubt it will happen though. SWMBO is loving my Bavarian Hefeweizen & Apfelwein on tap right now and she loves my pulled pork!:ban:

These high-resolution pork photos have officially compelled me to make a trip down to the local restaurant depot for a butt and some ribs for the weekend. Plus, it's supposed to be 60 degrees and sunny this Saturday - yAy global warming!!!!

Any chance in sharing your rub recipe, Mr. Wort? I'd like to compare and contrast it to the one I've been developing for a while! (I'll post mine when I get home from "work".)

Now I'm going to have to sit here all day with a taste for pulled pork. Damn me for waiting until today to read this thread.

You have just inspired me to make a sandwich.

Nice meat you have there, Ed! :)

How did that house beer turn out?

Back