New Years Day Dinner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really have a beer pairing with this. However I am drinking an English Pale Ale homebrew and it tastes great.

The deal is where I am from it is a tradition to eat black eyed peas & collard greens on new years day. 1 for luck and the other for money. Not a stretch for me I love southern food anyway (or is it soul food ?). To go with it I smoked some chicken breasts and SWMBO made corn bread.
Freaking delicious I only wish I had taken a picture before destroying this plate.

I have never heard of that but I'm figuring you have never heard of mine.

It is not just me, grocery stores in the south are stocked up with greens the week before new years.

adx said:
No way man! You're suppose to eat pork and sauerkraut for New Years luck.

Maybe in MD you eat pork and kraut on New Years, but here in the south, we are eating blackeyed peas, collard greens and corn bread! I had mine with Edwort's recipe for Haus Pale Ale. :mug: Happy New Year!

I made fried pork dumplings, pork spring rolls and Mongolian beef with broccoli over rice. The spring rolls had cabbage in them, does that count?

Had Bojangle's fried chicken, biscuits, dirty rice and pintos for lunch. Some more of the same leftover for dinner. Just had a tasty peanut butter, banana and honey sandwich for a late snack, with a nice hot cup of Sleepytime tea. Don't know if any of it brings good luck, but it was all quite enjoyable.

I always make Tamales and Wings. It's just part of our tradition. The thing about tradition is that anyone can make one, as long as they stick to it :D.

zoebisch01 said:
I always make Tamales and Wings. It's just part of our tradition. The thing about tradition is that anyone can make one, as long as they stick to it :D.
Oooh, homemade tamales? I love 'em.

Chris_Dog said:
I have never heard of that but I'm figuring you have never heard of mine.
I know of people from the south who do the black eyed peas and collards. I think the pork and sauerkraut is a PA Dutch thing. I'm Italian, but grew up in a railroad town in PA that was mostly Italian and German.

Kraut's a German thing, my dad's family always had pork spareribs and kraut on New Year's Day. My mom's side is southern and so we also always had black-eyed peas on the 1st but no collard greens, none of us kids liked them. I side with my mom on this one. I like both dishes but prefer the black-eyed peas.

I love beans, but do not do Black Eyed Peas.......Instead I made some chicken quesadillas

Back