New World Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillWill

Reaction score
All-Grain - New World Saison

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP550
Yeast Starter: No, just the vial
Batch Size (Gallons): 2.5
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 35
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 72
Additional Fermentation: -
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 68
Tasting Notes: (see below)

Only did 2.5 Gallons, so here goes (around 70% efficiency). P.S I'm in the UK so that's why I've got some very odd amounts in there (converting from oz to g etc)

2.65lb Maris Otter (48%)
2.65lb Pilsner (48%)
0.1lb Crystal 50l (1.8%)
0.15lb Wheat Malt (2.7%)

Hops
0.1oz Citra 13.9% First Wort
0.13oz Citra 60min
0.05oz Citra 30min
0.1oz Amarillo 8.9% 30min
0.1oz Amarillo 10min
0.05oz Citra 10min
0.45oz Amarillo 2min
0.2oz Citra 2min
0.35oz Citra dry hop

Mash 148F 90min
Sparge 180F

Carb 3.5vol CO2

Ok, so maybe I'm using the term 'Saison' very loosely. It's only really got the characteristics of being a little on the dry side and using a Belgian yeast (WLP550). I chose WLP550 over a Saison strain due to lack sufficient temperature control.

After two weeks in the bottle, oh wow! It's great! Starts of with a really smooth mango aroma and flavour and as your mouth dries out the mango fades and the yeast profile steps up to the plate an exhibits classic hay, straw and very light banana flavours you usually get in saisons / Golden Belgians. I'm so happy with this beer, even at 2 weeks in the bottle which is a bit young for a near 7% brew.

The malt choices came from a lightly adapted version of the Brooklyn Sorachi Ace (I just increased crystal amount and decreased the colour as it's what I had on hand and included a small amount of wheat malt). The hop choices came from us wanting Sorachi ace and being unable to source it, so went for citra, then I heard lot of good stuff about the citra-amarillo combo so went with that. :mug:

Sample from secondary:

In the glass (bit cloudy as I didn't want it too clear, didn't seem the right thing to do?)

Back