New Whirlpool for TC ports

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like an ideal way to avoid the annoying cavity inside a kettle you get with TC fittings. Is this a good place to ask your opinion on the "Ideal Kettle"? I'm still trying to decide on a new kettle myself and I'd prefer minimal cavities that the CIP ball might not reach for removing gunk...I'd rather have minimal intrusions inside the kettle with weldless fittings than cavities as I want a 20G BIAB, so I'm thinking I'll omit the thermometer and maybe rely on a probe in the recirc, but I'm still not sure. I have your NPT Spin Cycle Submerge which is absolutely perfect, but if I buy a kettle, such as a Spike with the TC thermometer port, would this new Spin Cycle work well using that in a BIAB? I'm still thinking through all the details and with my brain issues that takes a very long time, but you are The Hardware Guru on here, so any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.
:mug:

Does it fit the Spike Tank ports? I hate my dip tube turned sideways, only a matter of time before I hit it cleaning and cut myself.

Does it fit the Spike Tank ports? I hate my dip tube turned sideways, only a matter of time before I hit it cleaning and cut myself.
Yes, it fits any full size 1.5" TC port, which has an ID of 1-3/8". Because it's a pretty snug fit, there's always a chance that a protruding weld bead would cause it to hang up. It works fine on the few Spike TC equipped kettles I have on hand here.

That looks like an ideal way to avoid the annoying cavity inside a kettle you get with TC fittings. Is this a good place to ask your opinion on the "Ideal Kettle"? I'm still trying to decide on a new kettle myself and I'd prefer minimal cavities that the CIP ball might not reach for removing gunk...I'd rather have minimal intrusions inside the kettle with weldless fittings than cavities as I want a 20G BIAB, so I'm thinking I'll omit the thermometer and maybe rely on a probe in the recirc, but I'm still not sure. I have your NPT Spin Cycle Submerge which is absolutely perfect, but if I buy a kettle, such as a Spike with the TC thermometer port, would this new Spin Cycle work well using that in a BIAB? I'm still thinking through all the details and with my brain issues that takes a very long time, but you are The Hardware Guru on here, so any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.
:mug:

My opinion is still a little fluid on this, at least over the years it has been. Right now I think I like the Blichmann Boilermaker kettle with a bottom drain (not centered) the best. I use the bottom drain during recirculation and whirlpooling, then I switch to draining to the fermenter through the whirlpool return. For that application specifically, I like to use a whirlpool return that can be rotated from outside so I can chase the clear wort down to the trub line.

This video is the only media I have that shows it off a little...

I had to use some keg lube but it fit. Probably be tricky to get out but expect it will get easier as the o-rings take a set. I think I'll design and 3D print a wrench that hooks into the outlet.

Back