New to Yeast Starter - Have a Few Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffm33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made my first yeast starter on Wednesday night for tonights brew. I am brewing a blonde ale with a 1.050 OG. I used the Yeast Starter tool in Beersmith and it recommended a .75 liter starter for my WLP001. I am planning to save some of my starter for a future starter (the "Novel Approach") so I wanted to make a 1.25 liter starter.

Reading the MrMalty.com FAQ about the 10-1 ratio for making a starter I see this:

Use a 10 to 1 ratio. Add 1 gram of DME for every 10 ml of final volume. (If you're making a 2 liter starter, add water to 200 grams of DME until you have 2 liters total.) Add 1/4 teaspoon of yeast nutrient, boil 15 minutes, cool, and add yeast.

Following that I put 125 grams of DME into my flask then poured in enough water to reach 1.25 liters. Mixed it well then poured into a sauce pan for the 15 minute boil (I wimped out on boiling right in the flask).

Once I was done and chilled and pitched I had slightly over 1 liter of starter so I must have measured a little short and/or boiled off.

My Questions:

1) Do I need to account for boil off when upsizing my starter to split?

2) Right now I will have just over 1 liter and I need .75 liter for my brew. If I pitch my 750ml and keep the remaining 250ml, do I need to do a multi-step starter to get up to 1.25 liters (750ml for pitch, 250ml...or 500ml to save again)?

Thanks!

You should factor for boil off, but it doesn't really matter unless it's extreme. It will increase the gravity of the starter, but you should still get similar growth. From what you're planning to save you, should just able to keep adding a litre or so and continue to save it for awhile. Only one step required at this point.

Back