New to the hobby.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordFan

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just started my first beer today.
It is annapolis homebrew's penn. lager kit. I am using a 22 quart stainless pot on top of my electric flat top stove. I steeped the grains until 170 degress as instructed in the kit. Removed the grains and added my malt extract (6.5 lbs) to the three gallons of distilled water I had in the pot.
My question is, is there a minimum temp my boil should reach? It only got up to 215 degress. Is this hot enough? Went ahead and threw in the first hops already.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, I didn't see much foam and was alittle concerned the temp was too low.

You're cool with that kind of boil, but I wouldn't use distilled water. It's missing all the good chemicals that make up a water profile.

Oh, and welcome from a Fellow Marylander! Keep an eye out for the next MD brew day if you're in the greater Baltimore area.

You're cool with that kind of boil, but I wouldn't use distilled water. It's missing all the good chemicals that make up a water profile.

Oh, and welcome from a Fellow Marylander! Keep an eye out for the next MD brew day if you're in the greater Baltimore area.

Thanks! Will do, I live in Millersville(AA county) so baltimore isn't far away.

Brew is in the primary with an OG of 1.042.

Ditto on don't use distilled water...minerals in the water make the beer...at least helps...
I boil my topoff water the night before brewday and let it cool over night...outside covered up.
Well come the brew club!!!

Actually, distilled water is fine for extract brewing, according to John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff:
You can use distilled water alone when you are brewing with malt extract, because the extract will provide all the necessary minerals for yeast health.
(source: Brewing Classic Styles, p. 27)

Actually, distilled water is fine for extract brewing, according to John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff:

(source: Brewing Classic Styles, p. 27)

That's what the instructions said too...thats why I went with distilled water.

The airlock is talking tonight! I am excited!

Back