New to the Forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalBrewer

Reaction score
Greetings from NYC!

I finished drinking the remainder of my first ever brew today :( Though I should have started earlier, I will be starting an IPA off of Midwest Supplies tomorrow. :eek: My super newbie question is about kegging. I'd like to get this brew kegged when it's done. As far as the kegerator is concerned, I have a chance at buying one of 2. A new, still under warranty Haier HBF05EBSS. It was a floor model, so it is discounted to $350. Second is a used, several year old Summit SBC-500B but still working and running well for $250. The extra $100 isn't a huge deal, but in the advice of those more knowledgeable, does it make more sense to take the newer one over the used? Are there other factors I should be worried about that would make one a better buy over the other? Both come with a CO2, regulator and cleaning kit. The used has the tubing while the new does not. Thanks for any help!

Sorry that I can't help with regard to kegging, I've only ever bottled. But nevertheless, welcome!

I personally would go with the new one just because of the warranty. If something gives out on the compressor then your pretty much screwed with the used on unless your a Maytag ;) guy.

And Welcome.

Welcome to the forum! If you've already brewed and drank your first brew, you are ahead of a lot of people!

As far as the keg purchase goes, as with anything, the newer is better in the fact that you have a warranty that is does not start broken. But just because the other keg is used, as long as it is in great condition, it should be great! Maybe even conditioned!

Personally, I would go either way. If you need to save the $100, buy the used one. If $100 isn't a huge problem for you, you are basically insuring the use of it under warranty. Neither should effect your beer taste.

Hope that helps!

Welcome! Space is the only thing to consider, how many kegs will it hold. Eventually you will want more than one. Alot of people take used/new chest freezers or refridgerators and convert them into kegorators. Cost is close to the new haier depending on how much you spend on the appliance.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies everyone! I will be going with the Haier...gonna' go pick it up on Friday morning. I'll haggle for some overtime at work this weekend so I can get the actual kegging system before my next brew is done. No dipping into savings = guilt free beer :):)

Back