new to the board and new to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouperdude

Reaction score
Well for my birthday my mother bought me a mr beer home brewery system as a joke. I think its something I really want to get into. So while I let my first try ferment I figured I would read up and seek the knowledge and advice from the seasoned brewers.

Welcome to the obsession. Your mom doesn't know the monster she's created:rockin:

Some guys still use there Mr Beers for small experimental batches, or to split a batch to try different things. So it will still be worthwhile even if you progress into the obsession. Read a lot first, and the little issues will make more sense and you won't be worried you screwed up so much.

Welcome!

Make a couple of batches with the Mr. Beer, then step up to 5 gallon batches. You will find them cheaper and easier.

i thought i was going to save money by buying a 5 gallon brewing system on craigslist. BOY WAS I WRONG!

i got so obsessed with the hobby that i went out and started buying equipment to brew all grain beer on my second batch! now i even have a two handle kegerator in my living room.

i haven't saved any money, but i have brewed some EXCELLENT beers. it still surprised me how good some of them are.

It sounds like the 5 gallon is the next step up for me. I'm wondering what kit would be ideal. Im still a college kid renting a town home so budget and space are limiting factors.

The wife just did the same for me... bought me a 5gal True Brew kit... only a carboy and a bottling bucket, but I fermented in the bottling bucket, and silly me, I'm doing 2nd fermentation in the carboy, just so I have a clean bottling bucket for the 50 bottles I'm trying to hurry up and drink so I can refill. :)

My wife has already begun regretting her decision I think. mua-hahaha!!! :) "Honey, come look at this! Honey?? hey, where did you go??"

Back