New to Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
Just acquired starsan here in the UK, am I okay to use distilled water designed for car battery top ups , I'm assuming its the same.

Yes, you can use distilled water. It actually will stay viable longer with distilled water than it will with tap water. It should stay looking clear for a longer period of time (cloudiness can indicate that it's no longer acidic enough to be effective, but you can have cloudy Star San that is still perfectly fine to use. As long as the pH level is at or below 3 it's fine even if it looks cloudy)

Unless the Brits distill water differently than we do here in the colonies, you should be fine.

Cloudiness isn't a good indicator of PH level. Test strips will tell the tale. The stuff can keep for a long time,especially with distilled water.

Thanks all, for some reason buying car battery top up water is considerably cheaper than buying branded distilled water, god knows why. But thanks all for clarifying its the same stuff, have ordered ph strips also , should save me a bundle of money and rinsing and rinsing again the normal PBW sanitizer I acquire, starsan certainly not as readily available over here

Back