New to recipe design, how does this dark belgian look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mullimat

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about a year and just started into AG and am NEVER turning back. I feel like i would like to start designing my own recipes and playing around with things. I really like dark belgians (my favorite is Rochefort 10) so i figured that would be a fitting style to start with. Here is what i came up with so far:

12.00 lb Belgian 2 row Pale Malt
3.00 lb Caramunich
1.00 lb Aromatic Malt
1.00 lb Cara-pils
1.00 lb Clear Candi Sugar

2.00 oz E.K. Goldings 60 min.
1.00 oz. Fuggles 15 min.

Wyeast Belgian Abbey II 1762

It's a start. I would like to do just a single infusion mash unless someone thinks otherwise. So could someone help tweak it a little so it turns out good? Thanks!

OP
M

mullimat

Reaction score
Bump! Would really like to have an idea how to tweak this recipe!

OP
M

mullimat

Reaction score
I was thinking about using dark candi but was worried about it making the color too dark. What about the proportions of the grains? I think i may be using a little too much on the specialty grains.

B-Dub

Reaction score
I just used 2.25 pounds of D2 in a 7 gallon batch and the color was dark orange.

For spec grain it is your personal preference of course. Some of the stuff I have read about dark strongs talk about using 50/50 pils and pale malt with dark syrup for color.

This is what I have been doing for over a year. Using the Amber, Dark and D2 syrup with white sugar 50/50. For yeast I like WLP530 or 3787. You need a big starter and a way to heat it up to the high 70's or low 80's. If it loses heat it will stop and you will need to pitch a new yeast starter and pray.

Lots of good stuff out there to read about Belgium beers. Almost to much!!!

Good luck

big supper

Reaction score
You could use some Special B for color and flavor.

BTW - It's Belgian beers - not Belgium beers. Sorry....pet peeve of mine! ;)

Bob

Reaction score
According to ProMash, you're looking at an OG of 1.101 - that's a big beer!

17% of the grist is an awful lot of CaraMunich. Remember, even though it says "Munich", it's still a caramel malt. I wouldn't go more than 10% of the grist with it, for fear of it overpowering the flavor.

For why the CaraPils? I'd omit it.

Cheers,

Bob

OP
M

mullimat

Reaction score
Lol. Completely forgot about this thread lol. I've been working hard for a while on my Master's paper which just got turned in last week (been drinking lots of beer in celebration since lol)! Well, i made the beer and it's ok. As NQ3X stated it does have a strong caramel flavor (a little too strong for me) but at least it's a start for recipe design. I wanted to add some special B but my LHBS didn't have any. I will have to make another belgian eventually with some special B in it. I have had other people try the one i just made (they try it out of the fermenter bc i'm going to let it sit for a while!) and they seem to like it so i guess i can't call it a complete failure for first try at designing a recipe. I'm tweaking a hefeweizen right now to try next (although there are still a few holiday beers i would like to try to make even though the holidays are over) but as i'm planning right now it will be a little stronger than your typical hefe :cross:. Once i kinda get it more straight i will post up the recipe and see what you all think. Thanks for the input!

OP
M

mullimat

Reaction score
Oh yeah. And according to Beersmith, the color would come out almost black if i had used Dark Candi Syrup. Well, i used the dark candi syrup and the color wasn't darkened that much by it. The color actually came out more of a dark red!