New to partial mash, a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger

Bridge four
Reaction score
So I'm sorta planning my next brew and was thinking of trying a partial mash oatmeal amber. I found an old recipe on here and was going to append it to fit my taste.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=263617 is the original thread.

The originally modified recipe with my changes in perenthes.

.5 lb biscuit
.5 lb caramel wheat
.25 lb oats (.5 lb)
2 lbs breiss 2 row
3 lbs amber DME
2 lbs light DME

2oz cluster 60 mins (1oz East Kent Goldings)
(1oz fuggles 30-45 mins)
1oz Willamette 5 mins

Wyeast 1056 (White Labs British ale yeast WLP005)

I was thinking of doing a beta glucan rest @ 113°ish for 15-30 mins before raising to conversion temp (150-160°) to finish out the hour. Batch sparge with 155° water and proceed to boil. Sound good or is my thinking off? Any help with this would be great. Thanks

Andrew

Batch sparge sounds low temp. You want to kick it up to stop all enzyme activity. You could do an acid rest around 104 and then just convert at 152.

Batch sparge sounds low temp. You want to kick it up to stop all enzyme activity. You could do an acid rest around 104 and then just convert at 152.

Will 104 be enough to degelatinize the oats for them to convert properly? I plan on using a half pound and would hate to waste them. I assume I'll lose some temp when I add my sparge water so I'll have to kick it up to around 170?

Will 104 be enough to degelatinize the oats for them to convert properly? I plan on using a half pound and would hate to waste them. I assume I'll lose some temp when I add my sparge water so I'll have to kick it up to around 170?

You don't need to do an acid rest, and you don't need a protein rest with that small percentage of oats. A single infusion mash will do just fine!

When you're batch sparging, you could even sparge with cold water with no issues at all, so don't worry about getting the temperature up.

You don't need to do an acid rest, and you don't need a protein rest with that small percentage of oats. A single infusion mash will do just fine!

When you're batch sparging, you could even sparge with cold water with no issues at all, so don't worry about getting the temperature up.

Thanks, I'll be starting on this soon, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Edit: how much base malt (pale and otherwise) would I need to use to do this all grain? I know extract efficiency is 100% and all grain ranges from 75+ on down. Just trying to get an idea. Thanks again!

Thanks, I'll be starting on this soon, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Edit: how much base malt (pale and otherwise) would I need to use to do this all grain? I know extract efficiency is 100% and all grain ranges from 75+ on down. Just trying to get an idea. Thanks again!

A very rough estimate is 1 pound base malt = .75 pound LME = .6 pound DME.

The thing is, for amber extract, there isn't an exact amount of base malt because amber extract has things like crystal malt in it. So you'd have to work out how to emulate it.

Back