New to Mead. What to Make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

Reaction score
I've never made a mead before, but I would like to give it a shot. I have a few questions about it though.

Does anyone have any recipes that they recommend?

What is different about making mead, from making beer?

Can you use adjuncts like fruits? If so, which ones are good for it?

chase said:
I've never made a mead before, but I would like to give it a shot. I have a few questions about it though.

http://homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80
Im sure you can find something in there, Ive never made it so I cant help on that note.

keep the first one fairly simple. just decide, sweet, or dry?

honey lacks the vitamins and nitrogen that beer wort has. so yeast nutrient and yeast energizer are a must for the must (ha ha).

Absolutely, and these determine the mead style you're brewing. a spiced mead is called a metheglin. a fruit mead is a melomel...unless its grapes, in which case its a pyment.
if you mash some grains and add wort to the mead, its a braggot.

gotmead.com is indeed a good site that's dedicated to mead making. Schramm's book is top-notch if you want to get more serious reading.

i just transfered my first mead the other day and it tasted great already! Go with Joe's mead, (above link).

Back