new to mead and a rookie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenux1255

Reaction score
Hello all,

K let me start by saying thank you, im 29 and in april i made my first batch of Sweet Mead i bought the book and did the homework and figured what the hell and tried it my question is does it expire and when is the turning point when it has stoped aging to perfection and starts going down hill. i figure its kinda like getting old from what im told after that certian point stuff just starts wearing out and u have past your point of perfection lol. anyway thanks agian for your time and all the info im getting from the site.

fenux1255

I'm not sure there is that point - given the mead was not somehow defective when made or bottled. At least I haven't found that point... ;)

There is one Polish mead that is highly prized at 25 years of age - Jadwiga.

Even as a novice mazer, I can answer this question. If you made the batch back in April, it is probably just starting to balance out and develop more complex flavors. Mead ages very well, and people often wait 1-2 years before considering it drinkable. Theoretically it could last for a VERY long time, but of course that totally depends on the ABV, SG, exposure to oxygen during racking/bottling, etc.

Don't worry about it getting old or going bad, especially within a couple years. As I've heard and am currently learning myself, patience is the most important ingredient in making good mead.

Hope this helps.

As Toker stated, most meads (especially higher gravity meads) will not come into their prime for at least 1-2 years. Mead takes patience... lots of it. My best advice would be to taste this from time to time to see when it tastes best to you. And get another batch going as soon as possible. Seeing that it can take up to two years to be drinkable, you want to have a few other batches on standby so you don't run out two years from now.

I have 6 bottles of mead that are 10+ years old. I used to have 7 but we drank one a week ago. It was still perfectly fine, and I didn't even use sulfites.

What size of bottles did you use? Also, did you bottle with regular crowns or did you cork? I am interested in making a dry mead and storing it long term (similar to your 10yr).

What size of bottles did you use? Also, did you bottle with regular crowns or did you cork? I am interested in making a dry mead and storing it long term (similar to your 10yr).

Great question on long-term bottled aging. My previous batches were bottled in 12 oz bottles and capped. That's just about right for one sitting for me (and others I know) of 14 to 15% ABV mead. After gifting much of that and drinking the rest there wasn't any left for long-term aging.

I have an orange blossom brewed back in August that I'm contemplating bottling in December after oaking. I have another 12 gallons of yaupon mead, 6 gallons of cyser, and 5 gallons of braggot. I've been thinking of using 375 ml bottles and corking, wax-tabbing, and foiling the tops. I figure the volume I have just now might ... just might ... allow me to start keeping some back for down the road.

Crowning is certainly easier, and it would be good to know how they hold up over the years. I may just go that way if it's worked for others for 5+ years.

Back