New to legging. CO2 tank question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HealeyA87

Reaction score
EDIT: I have the answer I need. Thank you all who helped. This thread can be deleted now.

I going to keg my first batch this week. I just went to get my co2 tank filled. When I attached the regulator, it is reading 600psi on the high pressure side. The tank has 7.5 lbs stamped on it. I just wanna make sure they filled it enough. I know it's sold by weight and I don't have a way to measure that right now so I figured I would ask some people who have experience with it. The lady said she charged me
For 5lbs.

ive never seen a 7.5lb tank. wait...is it like long and slender? I think I saw a 7lb one like that once

Well theres 2 outcomes
- you paid for 5lb of CO2 and thats what you got
- they filled your tank all the way (guessing this is what they always do) but didnt have a price or catalogued item to ringup for 7.5lb so they charged you for 5lb

either way, youre good to go

TW stands for tare weight. The empty weight of the tank. So if you want to know how much CO2 you have, just subtract 7.5 from whatever the tank+gas weighs.

Yup it all makes sense. I thought the stamp was indicating how much co2 it held, I just didn't know they stamped the tank weight on there: that's why I was confused. I just weight the tank and it's 12.6lbs so I definitely got my 5lbs of co2.

The TW7.5 lb is: Tare Weight, 7.5 pounds. A little further back on the ring should be marking of, "#5 CO2".

The tare is the weight of the bottle empty, it will weight 12.5 pounds when full.

Im pretty sure the 7.5lbs is the dry weight of the tank. One way to know for sure is weigh it without the regulator before using any co2. If she gave you 5lbs then it should be ~12.5lbs. 600psi sounds about right as well so it seems as though you are all set

The dead horse... it has been beaten

:mug:

Thanks captain,

hotels-com-captain-obvious-caroling-commercial.jpg

Back