new to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wells11

Reaction score
I've kegged a couple beers now and bottle some using a beer gun. My question is can I keep the beer I bottled out of the fridge? I like to give some away but I am always afraid to let it warm up.

I've kegged a couple beers now and bottle some using a beer gun. My question is can I keep the beer I bottled out of the fridge? I like to give some away but I am always afraid to let it warm up.

It will age faster, for better or worse, at warmer temperatures. Otherwise, no problem taking it out of the fridge.

^^^ +2...

It will age and/or stale faster, but the bigger concern is storage. A beer will do better at a steady 50°f than fluctuating temps (even if lower). A well brewed and packaged beer will last a good long time at cellar temps out of light.

^^^ +2...

It will age and/or stale faster, but the bigger concern is storage. A beer will do better at a steady 50°f than fluctuating temps (even if lower). A well brewed and packaged beer will last a good long time at cellar temps out of light.

The idea the fluctuating temps cause problems is actually a pretty common misconception. The (potential) damage only occurs when the storage temperature is warm (room temp-ish). The rate of aging slows once the beer is returned to cold temps.

beer freshness.JPG

Most people, including me, don't have dedicated refrigerated storage for cases of homebrew, so the coolest and darkest place in the basement is usually sufficient for short to medium term storage. How about using a large marine cooler ($$$) or other plastic container (¢¢¢) and keeping ice packs in it to maintain low temps?

I got the image from the MBAA beer steward program. The data comes from Nick Huige's papers in the MBAA technical quarterly. I can't attach the pdf, but would be happy to send it to you.

I'm interested. I'll pm you

Back