New to kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JbroBrewer

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and just kegged my first beer a few days ago. The beer is chilled and carbonated now. I am wondering if you can open the corny keg at this point. What would happen? Would it just foam up? In the keg is a chipotle pale ale. I had racked the beer to a bottling bucket and slowly added the chipotle flavor (chipotle peppers sitting in a small portion of the beer in a mason jar for a week) in increments till I got the flavor to where I want, then kegged. I am noticing now that I would like more chipotle flavor/heat and am wondering if I could open the keg and put more in then close and serve again. Anyone ever try this?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You certainly can, but make absolutely sure to completely shut off the gas AND release pressure from the keg using the pull tab BEFORE attempting to open the lid.

Yep that's fine. As Knuckle mentioned release the pressure first (probably can't get the lid open without that step anyway). I wouldn't go shaking the keg up or anything. One suggestion - if adding things do it gently and be ready with the lid. For example when adding more hops there's lots of nucleation sites it can foam like an SOB.

ok sweet. thanks for the responses. yeah I figured I'd unhook the CO2 and pull the release valve till all the CO2 is purged then open. Just wasn't sure if when you open it the beer gushes out or something since it has dissolved CO2 in it..

Back