New to kegging, need help build a kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrew75

Reaction score
I'm looking to start kegging soon. I'd like a minifridge setup that can be kept in the spare room or office. Any standards on the brand and model fridge that works good for 3-4 kegs? Can I just go to a welding supply store and get a co2 tank? If not, whats a good source for them?(my LBHS is pretty expensive) Any other tips that you might have with this process in general would be great also.

Another thing, should I be leary of buying a used system from somebody else?

Well, I think you first need to figure some things out. A mini-fridge (like a dorm fridge) isn't going to fit more than 2 kegs I believe. If you're set on 3 - 4 you should look into getting a chest freezer and converting it.

I get my CO2 at a welding supply shop so no problems there.

I wouldn't be leary of a used system that works.

I think there's 1 or 2 mini fridges that will fit 3 corny kegs. All the rest will only fit 2. You have to be careful if you are building your own. Measure twice before purchasing a fridge. A lot of them won't actually fit a corny keg in them.

I went around to the various stores and suprisingly enough London Drugs had the best selection and by far the cheapest prices. I borrowed a tape measure out of the tools section and measured them all. Out of the 6 fridges on display only 2 would fit 2 cornies.

For measurements I planned for 9" x 28". All the fridges I found that would fit 2 cornies were 28" tall which worked out perfect.

The Danby's are the ones I was looking at. They looked like a really nice fridge and came in Stainless steel which would look nice in any office.

I say just go for the keezer, I just finished my two tap kegerator and already wish I could pour more! I'm going to end up bottling my apfelwein so I can always have two beers on tap.

i got a new 20lb aluminum co2 tank at beveragefactory.com, they seemed to have decent prices for new tanks. You may want to shop around at local welding supply/fire supply/gas supply shops. Although, all the local ones around here were more expensive than beverage factory for a 20lb tank.

Back