new to keggin - off taste after force carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
So i'm brand new to kegging after about 2 years of brewing. I have a double IPA and a belgian tripel that i put in kegs on Sunday morning. I chilled down to about 38 and then hit them both with 10 psi for 2 days.....last night i decided i wanted to kick it up and get the beer ready for this weekend....I increased it to 20PSI for 24 hours and then purged the kegs and set the PSI to 10.....I wanted to sample the beers to see where they were at and they both had a medicine/acidic bite to them at the end and were very cloudy and lots of floaties. Going in they were both really good and the kegs, kegerator were cleaned very well and sanitized.....Is this just from having the CO2 up and tasting right after? I'm assuming this will go away in a few days...Thoughts?

It's probably the yeast/trub falling out. My kolsh was really bad this time, and I've kegged a bunch. Once everything settled, the taste and smell was spot on. It'll get better the more you pour.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

From my research, it's actually more likely to be carbonic acid from the C02. I've experienced it a few times when I tried to force carbonate faster than normal (which for me is the set it and forget it method for 2-3 weeks at serving pressure). The good news is that it definitely fades away with age. Ironically, for me that means speed carbing takes just as long because that flavor stands out on my palette.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back