New to Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterShake

Reaction score
Hey guys...
Ever since I visited Cooperstown,NY which hosts 2 breweries Ommegang and Cooperstown Brewery I have been very interested in homebrewing. I have read up as much as I could on it and probably should start with extract brewing, I want to be able to make a decent beer from extract before I turn to all-grain.

I have a couple of questions and hopefully I can get some help :)

First I was wondering what the big difference between having a plastic bucket for a primary fermenter rather than a glass carboy, I know some details such as buckets will eventually scratch and bacteria may eventually set up house in the microscopic scratches..but what about in terms of flavor? Should I start out with a glass carboy or a bucket or a plastic carboy?

Also I live in an apartment and the temperature in my kitchen (which is where the fermenting vessel will rest) ranges from 63-70..I dont control my heating as the super(operator of the building) controls it (technically its automatic)...but what I am trying to say is that I cant get the same temp all the time. Will this affect my fermentation (im planning on brewing an ale) and is there something i can do about it?

And lastly..what are some good recomendations for a first light easy beer with good color and flavor?

thanks a lot and happy homebrewing :tank:

1) No flavor difference between glass and plastic. I use plastic buckets for primary because they are big, cheap, and have handles. Glass for secondary so I can see it clear
2) To keep a steady temp in your fermenting vessel you have a few options. Commercially you can get a heat belt or a carboy parka. For a cheaper DIY option put the carboy in a bucket of water which is easy to control the temp of. 63-70 really aren't huge swings, however for your first beer and it will still come out good.
3) I would look at the recipe kits from Austin Home Brew Supply and Midwest Supply. Both companies make great kits with easy to follow instructions, quality ingredients, and they turn out delicious.

Read Palmer's "How To Brew" if you haven't already, it is available for free online. Welcome to the board

Personally I prefer to use a 6.5 gal carboy for primary and then rack to a 5 gal for secondary. My preference comes from 1) The wonder opf being able to watch your beer in primary ferm - FASCINATING - and 2) Because according to Charlie Papazians method of brewing, you can set up a blowout tube from the glass carboy (primary Ferm) that will help reduce some of the headache inducing chemicals that are released during primary fermentation.

I have done both though and they both work well either way. If you are new to brewing though, I would recommend using carboys for both if nothing more than just to be able to watch the primary fermentation.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I have read "how to brew" and I'll probably read it again and other material before I actually brew something (as well as post here if i get lost).

Can you guys elaborate on this "headache inducing chemicals"..since I'll be fermenting in my kitchen I am kind of concerned.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I have read "how to brew" and I'll probably read it again and other material before I actually brew something (as well as post here if i get lost).

Can you guys elaborate on this "headache inducing chemicals"..since I'll be fermenting in my kitchen I am kind of concerned.

I have never heard to anything beer puts out as "head-ache inducing chemcials", unless you count alcohol and the inevitable hangover. The only byproducts that are coming out are some CO2 and some sulfer compounds. Some beers smell a little funny for the first 2-3 days of fermentation, but that is it.

Because according to Charlie Papazians method of brewing, you can set up a blowout tube from the glass carboy (primary Ferm) that will help reduce some of the headache inducing chemicals that are released during primary fermentation.

That seems really misguided.

a) you have an airlock on both buckets and glass carboys. So gas is escaping no matter what.
b) you CAN rig a blow off tube to a bucket. The purpose of a blow off tube is to avoid a mess, though. It helps when you have a very active fermentation so you don't get volcanoes of wort and have to deal with clean up.
and
c) I'm thinking that the headache causing chemicals would be more along the lines of fusel alcohol. Which can be due to a higher fermentation temperature.

As for your OP, I would go with the tub of water and potentially ice packs to keep your temperatures level. If the ambient temps are 70, your fermentation will likely get higher than that. If you can keep your temps closer to 65-68, you'll be in good shape.

And if you want, start with a bucket. Plenty of people use buckets. I use carboys, but I've gotten all of mine from craigslist, so they were cheap.

He's not talking about gases or anything like that that would give you a head ache if you sat around the fermenter. It's more about what's falls back into the beer and gives you a nice hangover when you drink it. I've wondered how much of a difference it really makes though.

He's not talking about gases or anything like that that would give you a head ache if you sat around the fermenter. It's more about what's falls back into the beer and gives you a nice hangover when you drink it. I've wondered how much of a difference it really makes though.

oohh lol..i dont have a problem with that :drunk:

my first was a simple german ale........mmmmmmmm it was good too. trust me....get 2 batches under your belt and you will pretty much be on auto pilot.

my first was a simple german ale........mmmmmmmm it was good too. trust me....get 2 batches under your belt and you will pretty much be on auto pilot.

thanks thats a great idea..i think ill go for a german ale as well..

what do you guys recommend..should I buy an equipment kit or buy stuff separately?

It's really up to you and how comfortable you are with your abilities. I began homebrewing after getting into cooking when my wife was on bedrest during her first pregnancy. I read "Homebrewing for Dummies" and was very confident about the extract method. Overall, I would say a kit is probably the best way the first time around... this way you won't forget something. I usually buy my kits from Midwest and have been very happy with their service. I would also suggest avoiding kits that come pre-hopped. By a kit that supplies extract, specialty grains (that you steep before the boil) and hops. You'll be happier with the results.

That being said, the first brew I made was a Hefeweisen recipe that I got off the internet. I picked up the ingrediants from a LHBS and didn't have any problems. If this is your first brew session, I would suggest making a checklist. I sometimes still find myself forgetting something... like taking the hydrometer reading for the OG. If you make a list things will go much more smoothly.

As for suggestions... I would go with a Pale Ale or Irish Stout (my personal favs).

Edit: Just noted that you said "equipment kit". If you are referring to the hardware (buckets, hydrometer, carboy, etc) I think you would save money buying a kit vs buying separate.

It's really up to you and how comfortable you are with your abilities. I began homebrewing after getting into cooking when my wife was on bedrest during her first pregnancy. I read "Homebrewing for Dummies" and was very confident about the extract method. Overall, I would say a kit is probably the best way the first time around... this way you won't forget something. I usually buy my kits from Midwest and have been very happy with their service. I would also suggest avoiding kits that come pre-hopped. By a kit that supplies extract, specialty grains (that you steep before the boil) and hops. You'll be happier with the results.

That being said, the first brew I made was a Hefeweisen recipe that I got off the internet. I picked up the ingrediants from a LHBS and didn't have any problems. If this is your first brew session, I would suggest making a checklist. I sometimes still find myself forgetting something... like taking the hydrometer reading for the OG. If you make a list things will go much more smoothly.

As for suggestions... I would go with a Pale Ale or Irish Stout (my personal favs).

Edit: Just noted that you said "equipment kit". If you are referring to the hardware (buckets, hydrometer, carboy, etc) I think you would save money buying a kit vs buying separate.

thanks, that was helpful either way. I am thinking of ordering a Belgian Ale kit from AHS. I will also probably order an equipment kit from them as well, then make a check list like you suggested.

Another question I have..if I order a mini-mash I basically dont have to do any actual "mashing" correct? as far as I understand it, I have to steep the grains in a grain bag for the amount of time specified and then add in the extract. correct?

Another question I have..if I order a mini-mash I basically dont have to do any actual "mashing" correct? as far as I understand it, I have to steep the grains in a grain bag for the amount of time specified and then add in the extract. correct?

I haven't done a mini-mash yet, but I have the equipment and have read quite a bit about it. Yes, you will be actually "mashing". Mashing and steeping are pretty much the same thing. When you mash, you do so at the same temps that you steep... I think around 160 if I am not mistaken. There are a number of ways to do a mini-mash. There is an excellent post that has been drifting around the forum. I'll post it here in a sec.

Back