new to homebrew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddyjay

Reaction score
Hi, I'm justin! I am thinking of starting my own homebrew in about 2 weeks. I used to dabble a little bit in biodiesel, home recording of music...and other things.

I understand their are several ways of doing homebrew, I have never down it before but I plan on diving into making a great dark and robust walnut ale. I want to do the "whole Grain" process.

Is their any advice I can get from all you experts out their?
Is there any must have secrets that all you know that I should know before I start?
Any advice would be loved...I plan on making a brilliantly tasting beer without a whole lot of bitterness. (but still a little bitter)...I am 23 year old college student that just got out of the army. All the knowledge I have on this material is from youtube and other websites. Help me out....and help me make a great and enjoyable ALE!:D

read howtobrew.com before you start.

start simple and stay simple.

if you like hefeweizens, start with the following:

6 lbs Wheat DME (or 7 lbs Wheat LME)
1 oz hops (hallertau, tettnanger, or saaz) for 60 minute boil
1 vial of WLP 300 (Hefeweizen Yeast)
let it sit for 3 weeks and then bottle and let sit for 4 weeks

after you've got the first batch under your belt, start with a simple recipe with steeping grains (preferably while the other one is fermenting.)

then you're on your way!
:mug:

Welcome. As an Army Vet, I salute you.

AG is a heck of a way to start. I started the same time as a friend. He started all grain and I started with Brewers Best Kits. I had an easier time in the beginning. He was able to control each aspect of the beer better and is more advanced than me at this time. He makes mostly belgian ales. I like to make all types of beers.

That being said. If it was me, I would add my location to my profile and see if someone is near you. You may get someone willing to help you out from the beginning with AG and you would not have to invest in the equipment. AG is a more expensive way to start brewing. You could also seach for Homebrew clubs or shops in your area to see if you can get some assistance.

If you are totally on your own, I would Partial mash my specialty grains and use Dry malt extract as my base malt. I started this way and found that AG was just a larger PM than I was doing before. You know you will have fermentables from the base malt extract and you can also see how the AG proces will work.

Have you designed a recipe yet? Have you purchased any equipment yet?

Well, I have had a grinder in my house...I have a stove..haha, I have a turkey fryer. I like the idea of having all the control but I really would like to brew a batch every month. I'm concerned with not being able to brew a good beer in 4 weeks. I will change my profile, and add the location! thank you.

The more advice the better!

Some do batch or two a week. A batch a month is not bad. Try PM and then go from there. Have you designed a recipe yet?

Some do batch or two a week. A batch a month is not bad. Try PM and then go from there. Have you designed a recipe yet?

No, I have not made a recipe yet, I'm looking to add a Walnut flavor though, This is part of the advice I'm seeking. Thank you!

I would to taste a guiness type stout with a little less stout...with the walnut flavor....am i speaking spanish...I'm so new to this!

walnut...hmm...well, you could definitely make a "nutty" stout.

i would check out the recipe database. extract or partial mash stouts can be amazing.

try something like this for all-grain:

10 lbs Marris Otter
¼ lbs Special B
½ lbs Chocolate Malt
2 oz Roasted Barley
¼ lbs Crystal 40L
¼ lbs Bisquit Malt
1 lbs Flaked Oats

Bitter with something non-citrusy
Flavor and Aroma with East Kent Golding (the only finishing hop you should use for stouts, IMNSHO :D)

something like:

60 min - 1 oz Perle 6% AA
20 min - 1 oz East Kent Golding 4.5% AA
5 min - 1 oz East Kent Golding 4.5% AA

use Safale US-05 yeast :)

for a partial mash, just replace 8 lbs of the Marris Otter with 5 lbs or so of extract.
:mug:

EDIT: oh yeah, on a side note...i do about 3 batches a week :D

No, I have not made a recipe yet, I'm looking to add a Walnut flavor though, This is part of the advice I'm seeking. Thank you!

I would to taste a guiness type stout with a little less stout...with the walnut flavor....am i speaking spanish...I'm so new to this!

We needed a beer to base it off of. Dark does not do us much good. A Dunkel, Stout, Porter, Brown Ale are all darker ales. There are many others.

Guiness gives us a good indication. Dry Stout. Deathbrewer has posted a good recipe. stick with the earthy hops. EKG and fuggles will be good. If you want to change it to a partial mash, then use Dry malt extract as your base malt in place of the marris otter. You can then mash the other grains in a pot or small cooler.

If you have found some walnut extract, then I would add a little extract before bottling, gently stir so you do not oxidize and add more if necessary. Search the forums and the itnernet for a walnut homebrew to see if someone can give guidance.

You all have given me really good advice, and I have linked up with another person in my community who has done AG brew a couple of times and he has agreed to help me. And I did find some Walnut extract at the local Farmers Market (weird huh?)

I'll let all you know and it will be posted on youtube for all to see. Expect the first videos to appear after I make an account in mid June.

Youtube contributed a little help as well so I plan on contributing my piece to the Homebrew Puzzle.

I plan on doing 2 batches the first week. A heff...and an experiment. Wish Me luck. I'll keep on this forum for added education and guidance.

watch out for the fermentation with the heff. they tend to be explosive. have a blow-off tube that is wide enough not to get clogged. Good Luck!

watch out for the fermentation with the heff. they tend to be explosive. have a blow-off tube that is wide enough not to get clogged. Good Luck!

whoa! Thank for the advice! Don't want to ruin an Airlock...any tips on keeping the blow out valve clean? Perhaps mix your water with ethyl Alcohol or something? I bet I can find this answer somewhere in this forum!...

To keep your airlock clean people normally use a blowoff tube instead (can do some searching with those terms) basically it's using some sort of tube either stuck directly in the carboy mouth, or using a modified 3 piece airlock (or any other way you can make a mostly air tight connection) then put the other end in a bucket of water or sanitizer.

Welcome! Thank you for your service!

AG is not a hard beast to get a handle on if you've read up alot and are willing to get/make the equipment for it. I started out with it and was making pretty good beer by my 3rd batch.

A three-piece airlock will work fine. I'd get two, so you can throw a clean one on once your fermentation dies down. That way you can soak-clean one and lock with the other.

You'll need a 4-5' of 1/2" vinyl hose as well. You'll just stick the hose over that cylinder of the main piece and put the other end into a glass of sanitizer solution. Of course, sanitize the hose before doing so. Hefe's can be a bit more violent though, so I'd keep an eye on it still, but that should work.

Back