New to homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoredomElixir

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm kind of doing a intro / question thread at the same time. I'm 26, from OH, and someone asked me what I wanted for the holidays. I've been eyeballing home brewing since before I was even legal to buy it, but I'm really thinking about trying it out. I made some apple wine years ago with a 1 gallon carboy and I thought the process was pretty fun. I accidentally on purposely chose a yeast that fermented out to 12-14% alcohol content, so it was a heavy hitter!

Anyways, I have been looking at the "Brew Share Enjoy" kit by Northern Brewer. It looks like the best value I can find in the beginner kit category, as it's also the most complete kit. Most kits I've seen in that price range call themselves complete, but don't come with a brew kettle. From the reading I've been doing, I've found that although you can brew a 5 gallon batch with a 5 gallon kettle, you can't do a full boil and you have to add water at the end in order to get all 5 gallons (unless you like boil overs and I don't.) So I wanted to ask you guys. In the $99 "ish" range, is there any kit that is even better that I've missed? I would prefer plastic carboys over buckets and was thinking about getting one to use instead of the bucket for primary, or maybe secondary. Let me know what you think, and feel free to yell at me if you've answered this question 1000 times before. - lol. ;)

You don't need a 5 gallon kettle. You just add cold water to the fermentor.

i'd say that's a bargain. I'd also say to forget the plastic carboy. Buckets are so effective, safe, and easy to clean. They are cheap to replace and can be stacked for storage if you ever have a time when they aren't being use.

While a bigger kettle would be nice, you can do a lot of brewing with a 5 gallon pot and if you later want a bigger one you won't have wasted a ton of money on the 5 gallon one. I use my 5 gallon pot for other things too, easy to clean.

i'd say that's a bargain. I'd also say to forget the plastic carboy. Buckets are so effective, safe, and easy to clean. They are cheap to replace and can be stacked for storage if you ever have a time when they aren't being use.

While a bigger kettle would be nice, you can do a lot of brewing with a 5 gallon pot and if you later want a bigger one you won't have wasted a ton of money on the 5 gallon one. I use my 5 gallon pot for other things too, easy to clean.

Thank you. The reason the brew pot is swaying my opinion is because I do not have a pot/pan even close to suitable for brewing beer. The biggest pot I have is pretty full at a gallon and I gave that to the dog so I wouldn't have to fill her water 3x a day - lol. So yes, I do need it anyway.

I'll be totally honest, the reason I want a plastic carboy is so I can watch it. I don't know why, but I like watching the fermentation and it's a lot safer to do that than it is to pop the top of the plastic bucket and look inside! It's kind of like when you are smoking bbq meats like a pork butt or ribs and you want to see it frequently. A clear fermentation vessel calms my little OCD!

You can get a suitable pot for extract brewing at any grocery store for about $20. 20 quart stock pot is 5 gallons. Either stainless steel or aluminum will work. Look for one with a flat bottom.

Thank you. The reason the brew pot is swaying my opinion is because I do not have a pot/pan even close to suitable for brewing beer. The biggest pot I have is pretty full at a gallon and I gave that to the dog so I wouldn't have to fill her water 3x a day - lol. So yes, I do need it anyway.

I'll be totally honest, the reason I want a plastic carboy is so I can watch it. I don't know why, but I like watching the fermentation and it's a lot safer to do that than it is to pop the top of the plastic bucket and look inside! It's kind of like when you are smoking bbq meats like a pork butt or ribs and you want to see it frequently. A clear fermentation vessel calms my little OCD!

A pint Mason jar will be much cheaper. Pour about 1 1/2 cups of wort in there and a pinch of dry yeast. Leave the lid a little loose so it can vent the excess CO2.:ban:

Hi guys, I'm kind of doing a intro / question thread at the same time.
From the reading I've been doing, I've found that although you can brew a 5 gallon batch with a 5 gallon kettle, you can't do a full boil and you have to add water at the end in order to get all 5 gallons (unless you like boil overs and I don't.) So I wanted to ask you guys. In the $99 "ish" range, is there any kit that is even better that I've missed? I would prefer plastic carboys over buckets and was thinking about getting one to use instead of the bucket for primary, or maybe secondary.

Welcome to the forum. You asked for opinions and one thing we have plenty of is opinions! I totally understand why you want the carboy, so get the kit you found and get a plastic carboy. You can use the fermentation bucket to start a second batch or have it for other things... If later you move to BIAB you would want a bigger kettle, but could still use the smaller one or bucket for a dunk sparge. Have fun!

I started with the Brew-Share-Enjoy kit, I got my friend into brewing with his own set, and now we often brew with a guy that's been using his 4g pot to make great extract beer for 10+ years. The value of knowing that you have all of the parts is so high for someone just getting into brewing, and it's not like you're ever going to outgrow the components that are in the kit.

If you love brewing you are certainly going to upgrade the components, but brew 20-30 gallons first to make sure you really understand what you want first. When I brewed last weekend I used both of my brew-share-enjoy buckets for water and grain moving, and I used the small pot to make a quick batch of cider while I was waiting for my mash.

A pint Mason jar will be much cheaper. Pour about 1 1/2 cups of wort in there and a pinch of dry yeast. Leave the lid a little loose so it can vent the excess CO2.:ban:

This ^ if you really "need" to watch your fermentation. I use a 6.5 gal plastic bucket for primary fermentation and a 5 gal clear plastic Big Mouth Bubbler for the occasional secondary when doing a fruit, oak chips, etc. addition but I cover them both with a black contractor bag and don't peek inside until absolutely necessary. The clear fermenters are a big sell for primary fermentation because people like to watch the action, but regardless of what type of fermenter you use, avoid the temptation to be constantly exposing the fermenting wort to light.

I started brewing last December; 22 batches under my belt now, so there's some experience here, plus I remember very well what it's like to be a newbie. I know this is a hard thing to do, but I would recommend you buy a good kit to start, rather than a kit that, 5 brews into it, you'll wish you hadn't bought. (In the unlikely event you decide you don't like brewing, you can sell a good kit relatively easily; a poor kit there's not much demand for :) ).

We see people here all the time trying to figure out if their beer is working properly in buckets. You can't see inside, of course, unless you lift the lid, which offers the opportunity for nasties to infect your beer. They don't get bubbles in the airlock, and the problem is you can't tell if the yeast didn't take off, or if you're just getting air leaks around the seal of the bucket.

I most wholeheartedly agree--having a clear fermenter allows for seeing what's going on, and it'll seal.

I have three of Northern Brewer's Big Mouth Bubblers. I bought one w/ a spigot, and liked it enough I put one on my original and bought a third w/ a spigot. I love 'em, though there is currently the issue w/ the lid sealing.

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the Fermonster. MoreBeer sells 'em for cheaper than the BMB, and if you buy enough other stuff, shipping is free after $59.

Guess what? Here's a kit including the fermonster: https://www.morebeer.com/products/deluxe-fermonster-homebrew-starter-kit.html Slightly more expensive than your limit, but IMO a better kit. It includes a recipe kit, so you don't even have to worry about what to brew. Includes Star-San sanitizer, cleaning tablets--it's a pretty good kit.

Let me offer one more bit of advice: if you can, find someone who can either walk you through the first brew, or find someone who will let you watch and participate while they do a brew. I did that, and it was invaluable for speeding up the learning curve.

Finally, a bit of advice on advice: Free advice is sometimes worth what you pay for it. :) If I were starting again, the above starter kit is what I'd have wanted.

Funny, I started over 2 years ago with almost the same kit that mongoose33 recommended. I started with this kit as it had a chiller and a bigger pot Personal Home Brewery Kit #4 - Bottling Super Deluxe With Glass Carboy. About 6 months ago I upgraded to a 15 gallon pot and a JaDeD Hydra chiller. You don't need a kit as fancy as this, but it did help the first year to have everything.

Have you checked Craigslist to see if you can find a brew pot to go with the kit your looking at? You might be able to pick one up at a reduced cost.

I started brewing last December; 22 batches under my belt now, so there's some experience here, plus I remember very well what it's like to be a newbie. I know this is a hard thing to do, but I would recommend you buy a good kit to start, rather than a kit that, 5 brews into it, you'll wish you hadn't bought. (In the unlikely event you decide you don't like brewing, you can sell a good kit relatively easily; a poor kit there's not much demand for :) ).

We see people here all the time trying to figure out if their beer is working properly in buckets. You can't see inside, of course, unless you lift the lid, which offers the opportunity for nasties to infect your beer. They don't get bubbles in the airlock, and the problem is you can't tell if the yeast didn't take off, or if you're just getting air leaks around the seal of the bucket.

I most wholeheartedly agree--having a clear fermenter allows for seeing what's going on, and it'll seal.

I have three of Northern Brewer's Big Mouth Bubblers. I bought one w/ a spigot, and liked it enough I put one on my original and bought a third w/ a spigot. I love 'em, though there is currently the issue w/ the lid sealing.

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the Fermonster. MoreBeer sells 'em for cheaper than the BMB, and if you buy enough other stuff, shipping is free after $59.

Guess what? Here's a kit including the fermonster: https://www.morebeer.com/products/deluxe-fermonster-homebrew-starter-kit.html Slightly more expensive than your limit, but IMO a better kit. It includes a recipe kit, so you don't even have to worry about what to brew. Includes Star-San sanitizer, cleaning tablets--it's a pretty good kit.

Let me offer one more bit of advice: if you can, find someone who can either walk you through the first brew, or find someone who will let you watch and participate while they do a brew. I did that, and it was invaluable for speeding up the learning curve.

Finally, a bit of advice on advice: Free advice is sometimes worth what you pay for it. :) If I were starting again, the above starter kit is what I'd have wanted.

Thanks! That kit is exactly what I was looking for, one that has truly everything. The brew share enjoy kit was ok, but it was missing things like a hydrometer and other small bits that this one includes. The free shipping and the fermonster makes it practically a no brainer! Now, I wonder if I ask nicely if they'll let me sub a different ingredient kit.

That looks like a great kit for what you are looking for. You'll really appreciate the bottling bucket and bottling wand. What type of beer are you looking to make? That American Pale Ale kit could be an exellent base for many styles.

That looks like a great kit for what you are looking for. You'll really appreciate the bottling bucket and bottling wand. What type of beer are you looking to make? That American Pale Ale kit could be an exellent base for many styles.

I was thinking about something like a porter or irish stout. When the winter weather starts, I really enjoy the malt heavy dark beers.

With a few well chosen darker malts a pale ale becomes a porter or stout in a heart beat. Most beers start off with 80% or so of a pale malt or 2-row light malt. Add some darker malts for darker beers and fun flavors.

How much dark malt extract would be an appropriate addition without spiking the alcohol content to crazy levels?

you should check Craigs list for a started items and carboy before buying a complete kit then add what you need new.

I also like my clear BMB, but @OP it should be kept covered. My caution to the new brewer [re: the use of a clear fermentation vessel] is to not expose the fermenting wort to light. The general consensus among experienced homebrewers is that there is a possibility of skunking the wort if it is over-exposed to light. A quick check once in awhile is OK, but leaving it exposed to light for extended lengths of time throughout the duration of fermentation is not advised, just so OP understands.

How much dark malt extract would be an appropriate addition without spiking the alcohol content to crazy levels?

If they won't substitute a kit for you, then you'll have to figure out what comes with the kit you're getting.

You can use other recipes as a guide:
https://www.morebeer.com/images/file.php?file_id=7923

My bet is that your kit will have 6lbs of light malt extract and then some caramel grains for steeping. If you simply added in 1/3lb of Carafa 2, Roasted Barley, and Light Chocolate I'd bet you end up with a fairly standard stout.

I also like my clear BMB, but @OP it should be kept covered. My caution to the new brewer [re: the use of a clear fermentation vessel] is to not expose the fermenting wort to light. The general consensus among experienced homebrewers is that there is a possibility of skunking the wort if it is over-exposed to light. A quick check once in awhile is OK, but leaving it exposed to light for extended lengths of time throughout the duration of fermentation is not advised, just so OP understands.

Absolutely. Mine is either covered with an opaque blue t-shirt when swamp-coolering, or I cover the fermenter with a large box.

Absolutely, I have plenty of experience with skunked commercial beers in clear and green bottles like Newcastle and Heineken. Although I was told some of the skunkiness of Heineken comes from Saaz hops. Either way, I am aware of what light can do to beer.

Just add a porter kit when you buy the starter set. The hobby is quite addictive and you will need to build a pipeline of beer. I had brewed my 3rd kit before I had drank any of my 1st batch, I knew I was all in!

Where do you plan on brewing? Stovetop or outdoor burner? If it is indoor you might want to consider an aluminum pot which offers better heat conductivity and will cool your wort faster if you are using an ice bath.

That looks like a good kit. As for the 5G pot, you can either top off as others have said, or you can buy a second pot and do a split boil (Walmart has 4G stainless stockpots for as low as $12). You may need to do that anyway since you are boiling on a stove. Alternatively, you can just scale your recipes down to 2.5 or 3G, which is plenty of beer as far as I am concerned.

Thanks! That kit is exactly what I was looking for, one that has truly everything. The brew share enjoy kit was ok, but it was missing things like a hydrometer and other small bits that this one includes. The free shipping and the fermonster makes it practically a no brainer! Now, I wonder if I ask nicely if they'll let me sub a different ingredient kit.

Irish red ales are always a popular first one to try. It was my "first" beer. :)

If they won't substitute a kit for you, then you'll have to figure out what comes with the kit you're getting.

You can use other recipes as a guide:
https://www.morebeer.com/images/file.php?file_id=7923

My bet is that your kit will have 6lbs of light malt extract and then some caramel grains for steeping. If you simply added in 1/3lb of Carafa 2, Roasted Barley, and Light Chocolate I'd bet you end up with a fairly standard stout.

Like bearded says it won't take too much of specialty malts to change the whole character of your beer. Just add them in with the other steeping grains. They won't add too much alcohol content to your beer, just keep them down to a pound or less.

When I used my stovetop(gas flame) it took forever to get my steeped wort to a rolling boil especially with the lid removed. To speed things up I used to boil 3 gallons of water in the big pot with the lid on. In another pot I was steeping the grains in 1 gallon of water @ 160. Once the 3 gallons came to a rolling boil I'd remove the lid and dump in the steeped water and bring the mixture to another boil. Saved a lot of time.

When I used my stovetop(gas flame) it took forever to get my steeped wort to a rolling boil especially with the lid removed. To speed things up I used to boil 3 gallons of water in the big pot with the lid on. In another pot I was steeping the grains in 1 gallon of water @ 160. Once the 3 gallons came to a rolling boil I'd remove the lid and dump in the steeped water and bring the mixture to another boil. Saved a lot of time.

You can leave the lid on the pot while it comes to a boil. It'll come to a boil faster that way, and no harm will come to your wort.

I've read on these forums that the lid should be off when boiling steeped wort. No?

Welcome! Everything below is just my opinion. Your pot, the whole process is like a ball of string how long do you want it? Your glass stove top should work okay mine did! But the new 900 dollar ge convection pushed me outside. Could have saved that old s...t stove and brewed in garage. Anyways where was I, yes the stove glass, you need a flat bottom. I used 24 dollars 8g. tamale pot after using 4g ss pot and wanting to do 5g batches. Just saw it at walmart 20 dollars wanted to buy it just for memory. I dont like that kit my 2c.

Sorry forgot whole reason i wanted to post. As everyone knows i dont measure anything other than maybe temps and the buckets provide MASSIVE fermentation data. I can smell it first of all. Second a light shined through shows fermentation data. It is translucent then opaque then translucent again. Third you can hear it through bucket.

I started out with the NB brew and share kit in February and it is a good kit to start out with but it does have some drawbacks. No hydrometer, had to buy separately. Replaced the bottling wand with a spring loaded bottling wand, the included gravity fed wand would not stop leaking. The handles on the 5 gal. pot are riveted on and leaked down the sides if the liquid level got too high in the pot. Got a Bayou Classic 10 gal pot from Lowe's for a decent price. So the NB kit is a great deal, but if I could do it again, I would have gotten a better kit minus the pot, and bought the larger pot right off the bat. Either way, good luck, and welcome to the hobby.

Many thanks. Very informative. Just finished the video. I'll definitely be boiling more vigorously in the future. Getting to the boil the professor certainly doesn't recommend using a lid over the steeped water but implies that there wasn't much harm with the precursor and DMS. Seems to be a major problem covering the pot during the boil though.

Many thanks. Very informative. Just finished the video. I'll definitely be boiling more vigorously in the future. Getting to the boil the professor certainly doesn't recommend using a lid over the steeped water but implies that there wasn't much harm with the precursor and DMS. Seems to be a major problem covering the pot during the boil though.

There is no harm in using a lid to hold in heat while bringing the kettle up to boil temperature. After that, it's generally advisable to leave it off. But even that isn't certain.

Here's an exbeeriment assessing the difference between lid-on and lid-off during the boil. See what conclusion you draw:

http://brulosophy.com/2016/10/31/the-boil-lid-on-vs-lid-off-exbeeriment-results/

Back