New to home brewing and worried!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malky1841

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I just got myself a woodfords wherry brew kit as my first attempt at home brew as I hear the 2 tin kits are better tasting and don't need as much sugar. Anyway the kit says to keep the primary fermenting stage at between 18 & 20 degrees. However! It's hotter than haydees outside and the house is warm and I can't get the thermometer on the side of the fermentation bucket to go below 26!. Has this knackered my brew? Should I have waited for cooler weather before attempting my first brew?. Any info would be greatly recieved!

Thanks for this! I know you guys must see the same ol questions pop up. I actually bought a heat pad as my flats normally freezing and I was worried I couldn't get a high enough fermenting temp. Now it looks like im going to have to source a massive bucket!. Will my brew be ok while I find one though? I only started it this afternoon. And will it taste naff if left as it is ?

Naff sorry in the Scottish term meaning tasting like an old sock after a heat wave . Typical... It's freezing all year and the week I try my first brew it's like we swapped climates with India !.

Back